• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bearing caps

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
A fellow 'Beamer contacted me looking for a set of 5 main bearing caps for a 1725 – which I don't have. Anyone have a set I can refer?

Thanks, Mark

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't have any spares but make sure he realizes that with caps that didn't come with the block he'll need to have the assembly line bored to ensure correct clearances, since the originals and the block were done as a matched set.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike makes a very good point. The mating surfaces on the main caps should be "faced" by a couple of thou and torqued to spec before the align boring (not honing). Definitely a job for a good engine machine shop. An issue that I don't see addressed in WSM-145 is the proper ID for the torqued main bearing housings. Anybody know???

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Correct torque is 55 lbs/ft, done in stages, a usual. I use only light machine oil on the threads. If doing final assembly, crank should be rotated a bit (in oiled bearing shells) after each bolt torquing stage. And Barry and Mike are correct - all bearing caps - rods or mains - must be re-matched by reducing and boring if you're introducing unmatched sets.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not asking about main cap torque; that is covered in WSM-145. My question is about the proper Inside Diameter (ID) of the assembled / torqued / align bored main bearing housing.

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ah, sorry.... I misread your post. Main bearing bore should be between 2.5197" and 2.5205".

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's an annotation I made in my own WSM quite a while back, but I seem to recall it's from Vandervell.