• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Balance pipe hose installation

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Ok, another fuel tank install question. I tried to search but didn't find anything specific about installing the new rubber hoses that conect the tanks andd balance pipes. When I slide the hoses on they are very snug, I can barely get them to move and slide back off, while holding them free, outside of the car. I am afraid I will not be able to slide them into place when the pipes are installed in the car.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? Do you use soapy water or something?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Todd,

You could try some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to help slide the hoses on and is it the correct size hose for the pipe?

Regards, Robin.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Todd, let the hoses sit in the sun for awhile and then use some dish soap. I also installed the hose on the tank side before placing in the car.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Ok, another fuel tank install question. I tried to search but didn't find anything specific about installing the new rubber hoses that conect the tanks andd balance pipes. When I slide the hoses on they are very snug, I can barely get them to move and slide back off, while holding them free, outside of the car. I am afraid I will not be able to slide them into place when the pipes are installed in the car.

Does anyone have any tips or advice? Do you use soapy water or something?

Big pliers to grip the hoses and a heavy hammer to nudge them into place. I also make a mark on the pipes to use as a reference to center the hoses.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Big pliers to grip the hoses and a heavy hammer to nudge them into place. I also make a mark on the pipes to use as a reference to center the hoses.

Don't forget this step! I thought mine were on properly the first time I did this, but discovered that it was only barely on the pipe. 30 seconds to paint lines on the cross-over tube solved this the next time.

63 Beamer

Donation Time
I found it best to secure the center section first, then attach the gas tanks to the wheelhouse only which leaves them free to move a bit when trying to fit the corner pieces. Definitely mark reference points on the pipes to make sure you have enough covered by the hose. The soap trick worked for me as far as sliding the hoses on. The last step was to install the supports for the back of the gas tanks followed by attaching the filler neck.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Ditto on the paint lines, on all the pipes...

I seem to recall that clamp orientation becomes important with respect to panel fitment, screwdriver/socket access, and general knuckle health.

Ken

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Thanks for all the advice guys. The hoses should be correct, ordered from SS. They fit fine on the pipes, just very tough to move once moved onto the pipe enough to allow installation.

I didn't get a chance to try the tips today, but will give some dish soap and water a try when I get a chance. Already figured on some type of alignment marks, but it's always good to get a reminder!

SUNI's coming fast, I need to get in gear on this thing!

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Just a quick update.

I got the hoses installed and poured in 2 gallons, everything thing seems leak free, so good so far.

I have to thank Allan for his patented hose installation procedure, I think that was the key. The order of tanks, elbows and cross-over pipe made it much easier. When I get time I will try and right up the procedure with pictures.

On the way to SUNI tomorrow (we wimped out though and are towing the Alpine).