• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Badge/ emblem removal

chris

Donation Time
What is the best way to remove emblems / badges from the car without damaging anything, so that they can be reused? Is there a trick or are they just carefully pried off?

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
are they just carefully pried off?

That's how I got mine off, Used a thin stiff but flexible plastic divider from a parts tray, carefully worked it under, found where the pins were and lifted evenly around the piece until it was loose enough to remove. You may need to give 'em a little squirt of penetrant (test in a inconspicuous area first). Take your time and you should be able to remove them with out breaking the pins. Don't try to remove the tiny clip that holds the pins until you've removed the badge / emblem.

Tom j

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The letters on the boot lid are held by spring steel clips and these must be removed first from inside the boot. I found these to be very difficult and broke several of the pins in the process.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
To remove the little spring-steel speed-nut type things, the best bet is to use one (or two) pair of small needle-nose pliers and effectively turn them inside-out, so that the prongs point down towards the sheetmetal, rather than up. This way, minimum force is necessary to lift them off the post. If you're careful/lucky, you can bend them back and re-use them, about 75% of the time. Better to break a clip than a post.

Ken

D

Dr.NO 007

Sunbeam letters

What about putting them back on the car,
all of my front sunbeam letters were loose when I bought the car and easily fell out . it seems like the previous owner used some kind of silicone or adheshive on the inside of the sheetmetal.
Can I buy the metal clips anywhere or will I have to improvise? epoxy ?
Chuck

mikephillips

Donation Time
Rick at Sunbeam specialties has had them in the past, just look for the letters and scripts in the catalog. As for the ones holding the trunk letters on, you should be able to get those at a hardware store, look for speednuts where the nuts, bolts and assorted hardware is.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Badge/emblem removal

If you are going the adhesive route, 3M makes a double sided black adhensive tape expressly for this purpose. You can find it at any good body/paint supply shop. Its what the pros use.