• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bad Day

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Before and after pics of my Alpine. About 7 minutes between them:

Attachments

• sii.jpg
    sii.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 173

alpine_64

Donation Time
Was it a fuel or electrical fire? Did you get a chance to try and get it out or just spread to quick?

Are you ok?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
WOW. I know the emotion, it happened to me. At the time, I didn't know whether to save the car or the garage. I finally decided if I saved the car (put out the fire) I would save the garage. I just lost some paint, hoses and wire. A very hectic minute or two.

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ouch! I feel your pain. Any idea how it happened? Might save one of us from a similar event. It's been a bad week in SK.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Carb fuel leak over hot exhaust? Sadness in any case. At least you and most of your house is still standing, though.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

Unfortunately this wasn't an Alpine caused fire. The Fire Inspector told me "I'm highly suspicious that the cause was your radiant heater, but I can't prove it." I guess we were lucky we were home, if the fire had another 5 minutes the whole house might have gone. As it is, the garage and contents are pretty much history. The house has a bit of smoke damage and we are fine.

I consider us lucky. A few days after the fire a nearby junior hockey teamn was headed to another town to play. The bus collided with a B-train truck and 15 of 29 passengers died at the scene. Another has died since. One, who survived, was the son of a friend of our daughter's. He's not out of the woods yet. We just lost some stuff and insurance will cover most of it.

On a more optimistic note, this may give me a bit of incentive to get my SV-V6 on the road and an older local guy saw the pictures, recognized my car and asked if I was interested in the Tiger that has been collecting dust in his garage for 30 years. I'm going to have a look but if it's any good, I probably can't afford it.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Silly question, any engineers out there?

I'm paranoid about the strength of the floor. A friend (who is a retired civil engineer) looked at the surface of the floor and said "if the concrete meets code you'll be good".

I'm only worried about what happens if the lifted vehicle is heavy enough to make the uprights collapse toward each other. I thoght I might add a steel tube separating the towers.

Am I crazy?

Thanks

Al

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Crazy? You do own an Alpine, don't you?

How thick is the floor and what is the strength of the concrete?

Keep in mind the lift was probably designed to handle a 5,000 lb (or more) vehicle. The Alpine should not present any problem. But it seems to me that it would be wise to tie the tops of the columns together.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
You're right, I own an Alpine and an Imp (and a good chance I'll add a Humber Hawk soon). I'm probably crazier than most. Had lunch with my engineer friend today. His suggestion was that a bar across the top might help with a failure and would hurt nothing. Before I installed it I drilled a few test holes in floor. Thickness varied from 3.5 to 4.5 inches. Strength, WTFK. The place is 40 years old and I've owned it for 20. Friend says 3K was code at build.

The lift is supposed to be good for 9K lb. Specs are 4" of 3K concrete with added conditions about distance to joints. The heaviest vehicle I own is about 4500 lb. My friend also says (seems non intuitive to me) that the force pushing the towers together is not proportional to lift height. While he no longer has a stamp to put on drawings, I think I trust him.

I'll probably do it anyway, can't be too careful.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
As long as the vehicle is balanced correctly and the floor is 4" thick, you be sure to get all the anchor bolts set to proper depth, it will be fine.I have the same lift in a 4" floor and it takes my 99 K3500 that weighs 7000 with out a strain or flex. Know your balance points and you will be fine.