• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Back together... AGAIN!

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Ok... I just got a new OD unit back on my Harrington gearbox. The engine and gearbox are now back in the car and I've got all the bit put back together. Looks like the clutch lining split on the new OD unit that was in there.

The only thing I need to do now is make a decision on which carbs to use. I either need to buy a new set of DCOEs and give Doug this set back or put the Zeniths on there. Hummmm

napa 1

Donation Time
Ian, Did you see Allan's post about having his Zenith's rebuilt. He was expecting them back soon and was going to let us know how they turned out. Cost $350. each.

Did you ever find out anything about those Weber ICH carbs and whether they would work on an Alpine?

64beam

Donation Time
The only thing I need to do now is make a decision on which carbs to use. I either need to buy a new set of DCOEs and give Doug this set back or put the Zeniths on there. Hummmm

Hi,

Surely you want that great looking, sounding and performing stage three spec with the DCOE's :cool:.

Regards, Robin.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
No... still need to try the Weber ICH. Steve S and I were just talking about that this morning.

350 each sounds pretty high. I can buy DCOE's for that. Where is he having them rebuilt? CAn they supply jets?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Ian,

Do the ICH carburettor fit directly on to the Zenith manifold or do they require an adaptor? Will they give you better performance than the Zeniths?

Regards, Robin.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
I believe they will bolt directly on. I've never done this, it's something Steve Silverstein pointed out to me a while back. We think the problem will be linking the two carbs together and making linkage operate them.

We would also need to come up with the best jetting option for them. THis idea needs some tinkering.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Ian,
John (Napa1) e-mailed me a pdf of the ICH and without having the carb in my hand, I speculated that linking the two carbs together might be accompolished with an overhead system similar to the SV Stromie setup.
If you haven't sorted it out by the time the Invasion rolls around, perhaps we could look at it when I'm out there.
I'm sure jetting will be as simple;) as collecting an assortment of jets and driving the car(s).

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Ian,

Webers are certainly excellent carbs but i would stay with the Zeniths.
Perhaps a bit puristic but think they fit better to a british car than the italian stuff.
Rebuilding Zeniths myself to - better than new condition - with new brass throttle & choke spindles. Have a rebuilt pair on my S1 (1600 exchange engine) with 30mm venturis and 150 main jets and it goes like hell...

Cheers

Bernd

64beam

Donation Time
Webers are certainly excellent carbs but i would stay with the Zeniths.
Perhaps a bit puristic but think they fit better to a british car than the italian stuff.

Hi Bernd,

They may suit well, but what about the Holbay/Weber DCOE combination Kent & Pinto/Weber or even the Lotus/Weber or Dellorto combinations. I think the Solex should have been replaced with the Weber DCD or DGV when the Series three came along. I can understand why they chose locally produced equipment though, but Rootes also had strong Italian ties :).

Regards, Robin.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Certainly true -there definitely were strong ties between italian carb makers and british car manufacturers. No doubt for serious motor sport applications Webers are the best choice. However for a normal street car you just loose that original look & feel & noise. Ultimately an issue of personal preference...

Armand4

Donation Time
As a mirror image of the ties between British car makers and Italian carb makers, Maserati Mistrals (and a few of Maserati's other late inline-six cars) used fuel injection--excuse me, petrol injection--supplied by the Prince of Darkness himself, Joe Lucas. With regards to Alpine carburetion, the only setup I have any experience with is the 32/36 DGV on my car, which works well. But the sound of an engine inhaling through DCOEs never fails to send a shiver down my spine.