• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

B R M

skywords

Donation Time
Damn Brits they always build the best. This is one of the last race cars in my book. I always loved the way these cars looked and sounded compared to today's F1 cars. I hope to see some of these types at Phoenix Raceway next month. Listen to the sound of that V-16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLByHf0rzb4

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Rick,

I wouldn't count on something that exotic... Phooey.

On the brighter side.....Looks like we'll have 8-10 Sunbeams... less than 2 weeks out..Pretty cool!

skywords

Donation Time
I don't know Nick there were some F1 cars from the sixties last time around. I believe a lotus or two?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
When I was there last month they mentioned that the economy had kept many teams and cars away. Do we have an upturn I missed? :D Can I go back to selling Trucks? Oh Joy!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

I agree with you. I think the F1 cars from the sixties were a whole lot better looking than the freaks that pass for F1 race cars of today. The new cars look like some transformer toy car. I loved Jimmy Clark´s Lotus, especially since it ran a Ford engine. I also loved the look of all those exhaust pipes snaking out of between the cylinder banks. I guess I´m, just a nostalgic old fool. Things always look better when we are looking backward.

Jose

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Damn Brits they always build the best. This is one of the last race cars in my book. I always loved the way these cars looked and sounded compared to today's F1 cars. I hope to see some of these types at Phoenix Raceway next month. Listen to the sound of that V-16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLByHf0rzb4

Actually Joe, thats an H16 engine (2 H8 engines stacked).

Interesting story on that engine, it started life as a small 4 cyl engine, then they put 2 together inline for 1.5 liter H8, then when F1 moved to the 3 liter spec, they put two 1.5s stacked.

Terribly cobbled unreliable engine though.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Rick,

I agree with you. I think the F1 cars from the sixties were a whole lot better looking than the freaks that pass for F1 race cars of today. The new cars look like some transformer toy car. I loved Jimmy Clark´s Lotus, especially since it ran a Ford engine. I also loved the look of all those exhaust pipes snaking out of between the cylinder banks. I guess I´m, just a nostalgic old fool. Things always look better when we are looking backward.

Jose

No, these cars are friggin ugly.

Jose, I think that any race car from any era looks better than the stuff we now see. I think it is the air management. After all, a "car" that has 2-3 times it weight in downdraft can't look much like a car. I say change the rules to minimum of 5 (hell , maybe 7 or 8) inches or road clearance and no wings. They would start looking like cars again.

And you know what? They would still be "fast" and races would still be close. And maybe the cars at Indy would be going slow enough you could see them as they go by.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jarrid,

My bad. Thanks for the correction. It seems like I can´t remember all the facts correctly anymore. I was thinking of the Indy racers that looked a lot like the Lotus. Anyway, I think Jimmy was the best driver of all time. Was really upset when he was killed. I loved seeing films of him driving a Lotus Cortina around corners on three wheels. Always had the inside front wheel in the air. Great memories.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

You are right. They have so many wings, flaps, under trays and other attachments, that they arent pleasing to the eye anymore. Too bad. Sigh!!

Jose

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: I was involved in a small way with the V16 and later more conventional BRMs.

The V16 story is a good example of "what might have been." The post-WWII Formula 1 was set at 4.5 litres unsupercharged and 1.5 litres supercharged. Virtually every race-car manufacturer like Maseratii, Ferrari and Vanwall went the large-capacity conventional non-boosted way, as engines could be easily designed as developments of pre-war designs. However, in those days 400 bhp was about the limit for an unblown 4.5 litre engine, and the starting point for a 1.5 liter supercharged one, which theoretically could reach 700 bhp. A group of British engineers, led by 1930s race driver Raymond Mays, decided that, with the depth of knowledge in supercharging learned during the war (that allowed the Merlin to go from 950hp in 1936 to over 2000 in 1944, for example), there was more potential in the 1.5 L supercharged method.

Also based on the war experience, where many manufacturers cooperated to build aero engines and airframes, it was thought that a cooperative effort in the same way could build Britain a winner for the next 10 years. Finance was originally obtained from Alfred Owen, chairman of the Owen Organization, and Oliver Lucas, of Joseph Lucas. Peter Berthon, who had designed the very successful ERA racers of the 1930s (which Mays, among others, drove) was in charge of design of a very advanced engine. Two banks of eight cylinders, set at 135 degrees to reduce height, with wet liners, and a two-stage centrifugal supercharger were incorporated.

The choice of the centrifugal type of blower raised some eyebrows. Although this design works fine in aero engines, which run at largely constant speeds, and affords much greater boost potential, in automobiles the Roots type is generally preferred as it gives more boost at lower rpms and a much smoother boost over a large rpm range. However, to realize the volume of charge they were looking for, a two stage Roots blower would be needed, with each stage some 10 X 10 inches. Also, even then only about 35 psi would have been reached, and the designers were aiming for the unprecedented pressure of 55 psi. The two-stage centrifugal blower offered a compact design able to produce both the volume and pressure needed.

By 1949 a prototype car had been built, and demonstrated to the press. Bench testing gave outputs of over 450 bhp. at around 10,000 rpm. (Later increases in blower size gave consistent 525 bhp, with one engine reaching 585 bhp at over 11,000 rpm. Pretty amazing figures for 60 years ago, considering the engine was smaller than a Pinto's, the use of single-grade oil running at almost 300 deg. F and the lack of materials in use today.) Also bear in mind that the pistons are no larger than the ones in your lawn mower, and at full engine speed, in each second the magnetos have to provide 1,600 sparks and the cams have to lift the valves, and the springs return them to their seats, a hundred times.

My first contact with the BRM was at the start of the 1950 British Grand Prix at Silverstone. My dad, also a car enthusiast, drove us down to see it, and we got seats in the grandstand to see the start. All Britain was eagerly anticipating a sweeping victory for the new "Super Car." The flag went down, Raymond Sommer let in the clutch ... and both drive shafts broke. In fact, mechanical problems dogged the car throughout its F1 career. When it ran, it was fast, and broke several lap records at different tracks. It took a very skilled driver to harness the power and torque characteristics, particularly on twisting tracks. Juan Manuel Fangio said that if one gave it too much "loud pedal" when accelerating away from a corner, the experience was exactly the same as driving on black ice. There was so much torque on tap that a driver who floored it at 140 mph could easily break the rear tires away and spin. Stirling Moss drove the V16 once and said thanks but no thanks to joining the team.

The inherent problem was that postwar Britain was broke, much of its infrastructure destroyed or damaged, and British industry, still converting from war production, was under under strictures characterised by an Export or Die slogan. There was little time or money to spare on the necessary development of the components involved in the V16 BRM, and reliability suffered, not just in the engine but also ancilliaries and suspension. In fact, it never realized its potential, and never won a Grand Prix. More than anything, there was never enough money to do what was needed.

In 1953, to get the needed cash to continue the V16's development, Alfred Owen started the Owen Racing Motor Association, an enthusiast's club of BRM supporters, and I joined. One of the benefits was beng able to go to the BRM headquarters at the old WWII airfield at Bourne, Lincolnshire, and meet not only the design staff but also some of the current drivers. I never met World Champion Fangio, which I would have loved, but I did meet his fellow-Argentinian Froilan Gonzalez, who must have weighed 300 pounds, and other drivers.

By the end of 1953, most of the problems had been ironed out. The BRM was winning several sprint races in England, and we all anticipated some long-delayed Grand Prix wins. Then the FIA (Federation International Automobile) changed the F1 engine requirements to 2.5 litres unsupercharged, eliminating the 1.5 litre supercharged eligibility and disqualifying the BRM V16. Cynics noted that the new French GP car exactly fitted the new engine formula. The French said they were shocked - shocked! - at the suggestion that they had changed the 4.5/1.5 formula prematurely just because their new car was ready.

The V16, in a new MK.II version, continued to race in Formula Libre events in Europe, but the BRM concern concentrated on developing an entirely new, more conventional car to the new GP formula. With this they went on to secure many GP wins, and in the end Graham Hill won the World Championship for BRM (in later years he would be runner-up to John Surtees and Jim Clark).

img103.jpg

TOP: The 1954 Mk. II V16 at Bourne. Peter Berthon is 2nd. from the left, driver Ron Flockhart at the wheel. BOTTOM: Fangio at the wheel of the Mk.I.

......................................................................................................................................

img102.jpg

TOP: Raymond Mays (L) with Mike Hawthorne. I had the chance to talk to him this day. BOTTOM: Hawthorne in the new 1955 (non-supercharged) BRM. I got a bollocking from Hawthorne later for straying too close to the track to take this one with my non-telephoto lens camera.

....................................................................................................................................

img101.jpg

TOP: The first of the new nonsupercharged BRMs that won many GP races. Mike Hawthorne 2nd. from left, Peter Brooks (another driver) to his left. Mays 2nd. from right. BOTTOM: Peter Brooks in the new car. Brooks retired in the 1960s after seeing many of his contemporaries killed (including Hawthorne, in a dumb road accident in 1959) and became a dentist.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those are Fantastic photos!!! Wow! For me the P152 and P163 were the prettiest F1 cars made. The best sounding, in my era was the Matra. Heard it at Nurburgring when Amon had the pole but electrics put him back in the pits. Amon would come out of the woods alone and oh my, that sound.

But Nick, to see Brooks (who passed away this year didn't he?), Moss, Flockhart, Fangio, Gonzalez and on. What a thing!!

Nickodell

Donation Time
My mistook. His name was Tony Brooks, not Peter. In the UK he was known as "The Racing Dentist," and he is very much alive at 77. He won the British Grand Prix in 1957, sharing the wheel and win with Stirling Moss, and was very successful with lots of wins and places for many years. Ironically, he left BRM in 1991, just before they began their string of successes.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
You look at those pictures and you have to respect the nerve of those drivers. Highest point of the car is the top of the driver's head... No roll cages, lightweight helmets, no firesuits.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You look at those pictures and you have to respect the nerve of those drivers. Highest point of the car is the top of the driver's head... No roll cages, lightweight helmets, no firesuits.

Nick, you missed the fact there were probably no seat belts. No need for a roll bar when you are flying through the air. The helmets were worn to protect their noggin when they landed, not protect them in a roll over.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Nick, you missed the fact there were probably no seat belts. No need for a roll bar when you are flying through the air. The helmets were worn to protect their noggin when they landed, not protect them in a roll over.

Bill

Bill,

You're right but I hit a few of the high points. If we looked real close I'm sure we'd find a zillion things to freak about. Look at the tires, brakes, metals. The pit crews, spectator safety concerns... Run off areas.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: True. Not too many people can say that Mike Hawthorne told them that they were a silly bugger. I had a few more pics, along with almost all of those from my RAF days, plus skydiving and some neat ones taken from the DH Chipmunk when I was soloing, but they got destroyed in the crate of belongings coming over with us in 1969. Either the shipper put it in a hold with water in it, or left it in the rain. The one of Hawthorn on the track almost went the same way; the top left of the photo turned to mush. Incidentally, the street in Farnham, the village where he lived, was renamed Mike Hawthorn Drive (nice pun) after his death.

The movie Grand Prix was quite well done, I thought, from the technical point of view. I liked the thinly disguised Jim Clark character. And the part where James Garner goes through the barrier and into Monaco Harbor actually happened some years earlier to then world champion Alberto Ascari.

They showed some out-takes in England while we lived there, including one bit of paparazzi film of Garner just after they'd fished him out. He was standing there all wet, with just a towel round him, when some of the local extras decided that they wanted more money, and Garner goes off like an M80, with lots of lovely 4-letter cuss words, of which I recall "I'M FREEZING MY F***ING ASS OFF HERE! HOW MUCH DOES THE ASSH**E WANT?" that they showed on BBC TV. (Brit. TV was more liberal [with a amall "L"] then. They'd bleep the words out today, just as they do in the US).

These are the last two pics that survived. TOP: Future Grand Prix winning BRM. Sleek looker, but dig those skinny tires! BOTTOM: The new car unveiled to ORMA club members and ready for a demo. run after Hawthorn's, and before the press got to see it. I think Tony Brooks might be growling "get out of the $#*&^(@ way!"
img105.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

You're right but I hit a few of the high points. If we looked real close I'm sure we'd find a zillion things to freak about. Look at the tires, brakes, metals. The pit crews, spectator safety concerns... Run off areas.

All true. What is really interesting is how the changes come about. Ralph Nader is probably responsible for more auto safety than any single individual, but remember how he was vilified? The hullabaloo about collapsable steering columns, air bags and seat belts?? Now people would not consider buying a new car without all that. Shoot, the lack of safety equipment on the Alpine is one of the most frequent comments I hear.

I saw a similar thing happen in sewage treatment plants. When I first started working in the environmental field, OSHA regs about closed space entry were coming into effect. Guys scoffed about needing a permit to enter a manhole and the need to have rescue equipment on hand. Now, 15 years later, you could not pay one of them enough to enter a manhole without all the safety equipment and they would "write up" any supervisor that asked them to.

We make progress in strange ways.