• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

B Post Cap Variations

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
So I'm getting ready to take a bunch of stuff to the chrome shop. I'm sorting through all the various spare bits and pieces I've picked up over the years picking out the best of everything so that the chrome shop has a decent starting point for everything. I had all my B post caps laying out on the work bench, including those that came from the current Series V project that I'm working on when I noticed there is actually two different versions. Problem is, by the time I realized there were differences, everything was mixed up and I lost track of which parts actually came from the current project.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which part belongs to a Series V? I'd hate to have the wrong ones chromed.

tempImageGuTkzQ.png

alpine_64

Donation Time
The fatter B post is series 3/ IV for SV they made the narrow one to stop the paint on the tops of doors being chipped by the b post when there is misalignment

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I was told that the fat ones are for GT spec cars and the thinner one for STs (S3 & SIV). I don't know what the SVs used.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Every SV that I've seen had the thinner caps. My SIV and the S3GT had the fatter ones.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I was told that the fat ones are for GT spec cars and the thinner one for STs (S3 & SIV). I don't know what the SVs used.
I had thought that when i first got involved with sunbeams.. But the fatter ones were universal for both ST and GT on all s3 and SIV.

The SV one resolved clearance issues and also probably made for a slightly cheaper casting

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is in the Exterior section of the new Alpine Judging Guide (page 25): https://teae.org/alpine-series-stock-judging/

Looks like it depends on either early or late Series V.

Rick
I'm not criticizing, only clarifying:

The information on page 25 of the TEAE Alpine Judging Guide contradicts the Rootes Alpine Parts List Publication 6600992. Documentation found on Rootes page YX12 indicates the wider B-caps were used on Series III-IV up until superseded by parts 2235594/5, commencing with body B395000001 – Series V. Could earlier caps have found their way on first-production SV's? Perhaps - but unlikely. The parts list clearly indicates VINs of bodies when 'cross-over' parts were used while superseded parts were being phased out. A good example of this is found on page YX19, when cable-type top frames were being replaced with Velcro.

The Guide makes no mention of the Series III/3 which, according to the above, would have originally been fitted with the wider caps (GT and ST).

M ..... v