• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

axle lug pattern change

mototron

Donation Time
Has anyone drilled a a 4 lug pattern into a 83 7.5 ranger 5 bolt axle?
I was thinking about welding in steel plugs in the old holes and redrill to the sunbeam 4 lug pattern
Thanks
Rocco

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Has anyone drilled a a 4 lug pattern into a 83 7.5 ranger 5 bolt axle?
I was thinking about welding in steel plugs in the old holes and redrill to the sunbeam 4 lug pattern
Thanks
Rocco
I did, drilled 5x4.5 plugged the holes as you said, however be aware they work harden when you weld.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Rocco, 4 X 4.5 (MGB) is easy. Same circle. Reuse one hole, opposite one is in-between and the other two are close but works good! For 4 X 4.25 (Sunbeam) I would make a template and rotate it until the bolt holes clear. No need to plug the 5 bolt holes.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Rocco, you could weld up the Sunbeam front hubs and drill to the Ford 5 lug pattern Like Joel suggests also. The Fox body Mustang is Sunbeam 4 lug pattern but axles are too long. Dutchman can shorten and respline them.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Or you could remove front studs and redrill to MGB 4 X 4.5 in-between the 4 X 4.25. Here is a pic of Ranger rear axle and drum converted to MGB 4 lug.Ranger drum and axle drilled to MGB 4 lug.png

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
WHy go to the trouble of switching to drums? Converting to Disc seems more efficient?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Looks like he has a drum axle I'd redrill as he proposes and stick with the drums nothing wrong with drum brakes just not in Vogue?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, The Ranger axle comes with drums. There is a good write up on switching to Mustang disks on the Ranger Station.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You Gents'are correct! I did not word my comments adequately! Knew they were drums. Just wondering why going to the trouble of the change and not converting to Disc.

Joel made a great comment about the drum not being in Vogue! Joel's work has been a bit of a guide to me in making decisions for my Alpines. Just go back through the POST he has made, look at the workmanship on display.

I do not particularly like the braking system (drums) on the Alpine rear! Prefer the disc because they seem much simpler and provide better performance.

Again, in my thinking, I can not understand why FORD didn't go with Disc on the Ranger!

Waiting on your (Jim) retirement:)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Lots of Ideas Dan, But I too am envious of Joel's Workmanship! A little over 2 months until retirement! Now if I can convince the wife the car projects are priority over the Honey Do List!

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You Gents'are correct! I did not word my comments adequately! Knew they were drums. Just wondering why going to the trouble of the change and not converting to Disc.

Joel made a great comment about the drum not being in Vogue! Joel's work has been a bit of a guide to me in making decisions for my Alpines. Just go back through the POST he has made, look at the workmanship on display.

I do not particularly like the braking system (drums) on the Alpine rear! Prefer the disc because they seem much simpler and provide better performance.

Again, in my thinking, I can not understand why FORD didn't go with Disc on the Ranger!

Waiting on your (Jim) retirement:)
Disc's are great as you say,but there's. Always the E Brake issue,in that case you can just buy a kit.