• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AutoMeter 8000 Cobra Tach

Duke

Donation Time
Thanks to Paul Breuhan (prbreuhan@hotmail.com), I am happy with the appearance and PERFECT function of the electronic AutoMeter Cobra 8000 RPM Tach.

A very affordable option to all of the original tach problems. We ended up using a Alpine tach face, original needle and Paul's custom silk screening.

012-1.jpg

011.jpg

Thanks again Paul... and Jim!

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

The tacho looks great and I bet an accurate tacho is certainly a bonus. If I can ask, what cost is involved?

Thanks, Robin.

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey Duke...

I think Paul gave us a special deal as we had quite a few faces done at the same time if you remember... looking at some earlier e-mails, he originally quoted $55 including shipping back for each face. For the quality of work it's worth every penny of that I think !!

For those of you wanting to duplicate this effort, besides needing the Autometer tach and Paul to do his handywork on the Alpine tach face that you supply him, you will also need the Alpine tach needle ... and outer ( chrome ) and inner bezel... and glass from a 4 inch Jaeger gauge. As far as I can see, these items are the same from a speedo ( not the needle though ) . There's also some cutting and grinding to do to the Autometer case but it's not too bad... and the holes in the Alpine face need to be closed up and new ones drilled to fit the Autometer case..

That's about it to get a NEW-old Jaeger 8k tach...

Jim

66Tiger

Donation Time
If I do one face up at a time it's $55 including Priority Mail shipping back.

It would be $35 each (including the same shipping) if I can do up an order of 3 faces at one time.

Also it's not a silk-screening but a dry transfer process, there is just not enough volume to make silk-screening ecomonically viable.

I do stand by the process and did all the small gauges and tach in my own Tiger several years ago and they still look as good as the day that they were done.

Paul

You can get the tach for $122 here - http://www.re-racing.com/Auto-Meter-AM-201004/Gauges/Tachometer/Cobra-p7010036.html#

Paul charges ~$30 if you send him a face to do it.

So ~$150, now thats a deal!

Duke

Donation Time
Thanks for the clarifications Paul. Are you on the Tiger email list?

One member referred to my gauge as a "fake LAT 22", how funny is that. A LAT 22 gauge does not even come close to matching the Jaeger gauges.

Thanks again for the outstanding product.

66Tiger

Donation Time
Hey Duke,
No I got off the list when I sold my Tiger in June.

Also there was too much talk about Algers for my tastes...seems like the same silliness kept popping up over and over.

Anyways...

The LAT22 tachometer looks very much like the early 60s MG Midget, AH Sprite and mid 60s MGB tach...nothing like your beautiful and accurate Autometer piece.

Now you just need to get your 347 in, so you can take it up to the redline!

Paul

64beam

Donation Time
One member referred to my gauge as a "fake LAT 22", how funny is that. A LAT 22 gauge does not even come close to matching the Jaeger gauges.

Someone needs to do their homework... It looks more like the works Tiger tacho (which I believe went to 8K as well except for the redline shading and redline pointer).

Duke

Donation Time
It looks more like the works Tiger tacho (which I believe went to 8K as well except for the redline shading and redline pointer).

Here is the creature you speak of -

8KJaegertach.jpg

I would say that we did a great job of cloning it.

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
Well... it's taken a long time but I finally have all the bits to make a few of these tachs... Paul recently sent me some relettered tach faces, then sold what he had left and says he is not going to make any more... I've put together a couple and sold them and still have a couple left. I had a request for a 7k redline so I made 2 like that and still have one available. I also have the 6k redline version. Paul sold his last one on e-Bay for $430+shipping... and I've been asking $350 including shipping...
If anyone's interested just let me know @ jim@island.net

Jim

Attachments

• 7k redline.jpg
    7k redline.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 38