• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ashtray Insert

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently came across my original series V ashtray insert. It is just bare metal at this point. It may have been sandblasted. Was it originally chrome or was it painted (and what color)?

Thanks,
Mike

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm quite sure the insert is painted black, as is the mount. The flip up cover is chrome.

greenbean

Donation Time
My insert is chrome like the cover, all the rest is black paint. Mine is on a SV. But you never know what a car may have come with.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I removed the rust, a little bondo to fill a small hole, multiple passes of primer coats and sanding and then top coats using VHT Shiny Plate rattle can. The ashtray insert came out pretty decent. See before and after photos. It was the first time I have tried the VHT Shiny Plate.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• ashtray insert before.jpg
    ashtray insert before.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 64
  • ashtray insert after.jpg
    ashtray insert after.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 82

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
To bad that the Alpine ashtray is different from the Tiger, the AH-3000 used the same as the Tiger and you can still get them new. :D

65beam

Donation Time
insert

George,
new ash trays to fit the alpine are available from VB and moss. they're MG units.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My father had purchased a new ashtray for my car. The part number is 9-298. Maybe it was from VB. The tray insert quality was too poor, so I restored the original instead.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC05344.jpg
    DSC05344.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
When I restored my car 20 years ago, I swapped two things that I later regretted. I got a nice new "shiny" ashtray and replacement thresholds. I was living in an apartment at the time and space was limited. So the old faded parts were tossed. :(

My original ashtray lid was dull and a little messed up. But I should have tried to clean it up more. The replacement one rusted much too quickly.

And sadly, the thresholds were very dull. Looked terrible. BUT, they were straight and had nice, deep, defined squares on them. The replacements were nice and shiny, but rather than cuts for the squares, they basically just had scratched/stamped lines. I haven't taken a poll, but from time to time when I remember to look at the ones on various Alpines, they are never as deep cut as my originals were. I did have a very late SV, with all the very late SV details. I wonder if that was something they changed over the years.

Oh well.