• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Are threads being "disappeared"?

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Um, look, I know I'm putting on some years, but my memory is fine. Last week a thread was posted, about something that had a political flavor. I made a comment to that post. When I checked back later, the thread had been removed. I thought it was a new "get tough" policy about putting political stuff, in the chit-chat forum. Anyway the admin has a right to do w/his site, what he will. This morning I checked in and there was a series of 4 new threads by a new member who had "suspension" problems and an attitude. Seems, she believed that since she owned the "Get Smart" car and Adams and Corolla were her friends, she deserved to be president of the club. There had already been a couple of questioning and "informative" replies, when I came across it. While I was deciding if I should reply and what form that reply would take, the thread disappeared. Along w/all traces that it or the other 3 threads were ever there. Even this members profile has no indication that she ever posted. Now, as I said above, the admin has a right to set what ever limits, they desire on their own property. And this member was, IMO, a bit questionable. I'm just questioning the "wisdom" of "disappearing" threads, w/o some kind of recognition that it was there or a reason for it's disappearance. It's getting to be a bit "Orwellian".
No offense ment, just my $0.02.
Ron

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Posting??

Hi Ron,

I can understand you post and why you would question a post being removed.
The problem that we have is the site is being hit hard by spam and silly posts by unknown people. Sue K posted 4 or 5 times about weight related issues and just silly posts. I guess we should have a topic called garbage and one could post just anything and everything in it.

I love the site to help me with my car, to understand the difference between each series and to bond with the common car lover trying to keep these fun cars on the road.

You would not believe the spam we remove every day, I have a full time employment similar to most of the officials trying to provide this forum and site to our members. I have little extra time but it seems that others have so much time they feel the need to poke fun at the site or make our jobs seem trivial. A little more respect for the site and what we do would be appreciated by people like Sue K.

I don't know what is best anymore and the lines are becoming grey, I can see may officials becoming tired. I would hate to see things change and not being able to ask questions about how to fix or keep my car running on the road.

Regards,
Andrew Masse
(please note that these are my views and they may or may not reflect the views of other officials or club members, if it is wrong for me to post this please feel free to remove this posting as I for one will not be upset)

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Ron, I looked at the Profile of Sue K before alerting Ian - date of birth given was 4 July 1914 which would make "Sue" 95 years old. Suspicious? It is essential that all of these spoof postings (and there are quite a lot) are dealt with swiftly so that the integrity of the Club is not compromised. Tony.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Last week a thread was posted, about something that had a political flavor. I made a comment to that post. When I checked back later, the thread had been removed. I thought it was a new "get tough" policy about putting political stuff, in the chit-chat forum. Ron

If the thread was about cars.gov website having the ability to scan computers logged into it; I started the thread and later deleted it, because I did not intend for it to become political as it seem to be headed.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Ron, I looked at the Profile of Sue K before alerting Ian - date of birth given was 4 July 1914 which would make "Sue" 95 years old. Suspicious? It is essential that all of these spoof postings (and there are quite a lot) are dealt with swiftly so that the integrity of the Club is not compromised. Tony.

It was obvious that Sue K was having a bit of fun, he/she did have some marque knowledge, which means it wasnt a random intrusion.

I was hoping we could see where that rant was headed.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Sue Kessler, is a real person, who has a V6 converted Alpine, which she has done up as a Get Smart car. It is decked out in Tiger trim and is painted the same red as the Get Smart car. She has a web site where she shows pictures of agents 86 and 99 actually sitting in it.

I Don´t understand why she would be posting like this, but she isn´t as fat as she would lead us to believe. I have worked on her Alpine since it is converted with one of my kits, although she wasn´t the original person that converted the Alpine.

The web site has been posted on this board a long time ago.

Jose

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Regarding Sue K

Hi Jose,

It is good to know as her profile and posts didn't add up.
I will look into the account. Thank you for the information.

Regards,
Andrew

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Please don't take my question as a criticism of the people who maintain this board. As I said, it's private property, and can be run anyway wanted. I try to only track mud, where it's permissible. I'm just a little leary about disappeared posts, w/no explaination.
Although Sue K's posts were odd and seem to have come out of left field for her 1st series, of posts, they didn't seem like spam. She didn't make a very good 1st impression, which was, in essence, gonna be my reply. I can see, how her profile and gang buster introduction, could have been meant as a joke, but really didn't come across that way. I, like Rootes Racer, was curious how it was gonna turn out.
MikeH, thanks for filling me in on what happened to your thread. It was indeed the car.govsite, post. Not quite sure how you figured that topic wouldn't go political? Could have made an interesting thread in the "mud room" of politics/rants.
Thanks for your replies, just wanting to make sure my memory is as good as I believe it is and didn't dream it in a fit of premature senility.:eek: I do appriciate the work, it takes, to maintain the site.
Ron

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Since I know Sue, I got the impression, from her posts, that she had to be a bit tipsy when she posted. When I first read her president post, I at first began to get upset, but then figured that she had to be kidding. I can understand others not liking her postings.

Jose

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'm just a little leary about disappeared posts, w/no explaination. Ron

Ron,

You get used to posts and thoughts randomly disappearing. Happens to me all the time. Late 60's and early 70's were an interesting time...

Now about the black helicopters and Roswell and...

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Ron,

You get used to posts and thoughts randomly disappearing. Happens to me all the time. Late 60's and early 70's were an interesting time...

Now about the black helicopters and Roswell and...

HAHAHA, yeah the 70's definately left an impression, on my memory...I just wish I could remember it:D
Maybe that's why disappeared posts irritate me so much...don't know if it's a flashback or not:eek:

65beam

Donation Time
disappeared

i don't know about you guys,but those memories of the late 60's and the seventies come back when i set down and put my hands on the steering wheel of the series 4. the wife says some of the sounds coming from the car is it telling me that we're both too old to try some of those things again.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
They say the short term ... now what was I going to say? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah. Short term memory is the second thing to go. :eek: