• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

anyone tried a different steering rack ?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am installing a roll bar, so moving the seat back further really isnt an option.

Whenever I tell someone I am building a little british sports car, I am always asked how I fit in that. My answer is always "Easy, there is no top."

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
What helped me the most, was installing Miata seats. I am 6' 200lbs. Sorry about the picture, I was test fitting during mock-up. I am running a 14" steering wheel.
RIMG0833-XL.jpg
Level Headed ea

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I didnt try turning the wheel much while the car was in my possesion, so I dont have a good feel for the effort to turn the wheel. I will fiddle with the existing wheel a bit before I select the size for a new wheel.
Flat bottom wheel,maybe Grant.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No offense intended, but that is clearly a case of putting 270 pounds in a 170 pound bag. The limiting factor in moving the seat to the rear appears to be the seat back hitting the top / front edge of the package tray. It would be a fair amount of work, but it seems to me that modifying the front of the package tray (and the seat mounts) to create concave sections behind the seats might allow an extra 2-3 inches of rearward seat movement.
Or do like DD (pronounced Dee Dee) Ritchie did back in the '50's. As a teenager, he removed the front seat of his '41 Buick coupe and sat in the back seat as he cruised around Richmond. Yes, DD was a big boy.

Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm 6'3". I have always driven with the wheel extended all the way towards the driver. I installed an aftermarket wheel a couple years ago that required an adaptor that moved the wheel another couple inches towards the driver - the improvement in leg room is amazing - wish I had done it 20 years sooner.

TR

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm 6'3". I have always driven with the wheel extended all the way towards the driver. I installed an aftermarket wheel a couple years ago that required an adaptor that moved the wheel another couple inches towards the driver - the improvement in leg room is amazing - wish I had done it 20 years sooner.

TR
Yes moving the wheel towrads your chest males a HUGE difference. I did this after about 5 years in my tiger and alpine... The difference for leg room for knees is amazing... Can fit comfortably with my legs not canted back and knees not splayed each side of the wheel.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since I am installing a new aftermarket column, I can get one a little longer to move the wheel more aft. Once I get the car back and the seats in, I can do some mocking up.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
Dale's Spridet mod on the Tiger has been NLA for years, but I made a set for myself and a couple of mates. There are 2 pairs of the brackets, tie rod end adapters, and steering arm spacers, left if anyone wants a set - you will have to find the MGB steering arms and elongate one hole to fit the upright.

Attachments

• P_20180709_103459.jpg
    P_20180709_103459.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 38
  • MG-Tiger steering rack adapter instruction.pdf
    758 KB · Views: 6
  • P_20180613_095959.jpg
    P_20180613_095959.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 36

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I need ONLY the 2 (top of the first picture) "extensions". female on the rack side and male on the tie rod end. Maybe the "Mounts" also. around 3-4" long. must they be "MADE" or are they available from any auto store? Part # ? $ ? Thank you

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, Those parts only work with the Midget rack. Bill Blue used home made connectors for his MGB rack. You have the MGB rack. The MGB tie rod ends are fairly long and there are longer Mustang II tie rod ends that are longer with same thread. Here is a pic of the flat steering arms with the MGB tie rod ends. He used thick washers on both sides to use the tapered tie rod ends.

Mustang II Extended-Length Outer Tie Rod End (speedwaymotors.com)

tiger with mgb rack.jpg

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes , I have the '75 up MGB Rack, was able to use the series 2 sunbeam steering arms ( pointed to the front), tried getting the flat steering arms, cannot be had w/2.25" bolt centers and cannot be modified. and then only for use with heim joints. Going to return them. What YEAR mustang 2 tie rod ends? any 74-77 ? 4,6,8 cyl ?? you Do Mean INNER tie rod ends? correct? Thank you.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
No, outer. Did you mill the hump down on the steering arms and use spacers under them? You need to post pics! Put your pictures in a pictures file and use post image box below.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I "washered" the rear bolt. "milled" Nothing. will post pictures later. will go out and take a couple, cannot leave my desk right now. thanks

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I thought the hump between the mounting bolts would cause clearance problems? How thick is your washer stack? Thanks for the pic!

Last edited: