• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

anyone tried a different steering rack ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
was referring to alpine, but will alter the MGB to fit. I've heard the holes are off about 1/8" ?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You will have to cut the steering shaft and add flats for a double d ujoint. Original MGB has ujoint up by firewall. Did you get the later, 75-80 for easier steering or the early, 62-74 one for quicker ratio?

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
later, (75 up). and will use a shaft with dual u joints and one that telescopes for adjustment. was wondering if the shaft needed to be with a "FLAT" or was splined , or both ?. obviously if only a FLAT, it would make things much easier. Thanks

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine came with an original MGB column and wheel. I am replacing that with an aftermarket column and wheel, so I won't have to adapt a column cover and turn signal switch, plus will get tilt steering. One of our members clued me into this solution. Thanks Jason

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I Have 2 alpine steering columns that I can convert, and also a Fiero" Tilt" column. I'm leaning for the altered alpine column

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I used an ididit universal column in my build.not the first time I've done this, easy to mount not sure why you'd need a tilt wheel in an Alpine.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I Have 2 alpine steering columns that I can convert, and also a Fiero" Tilt" column. I'm leaning for the altered alpine column
I converted an Alpine steering column in one of my builds, more to it than meets the eye.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
besides putting a new custom BEARING in each end, and "turning off" the pinion gear, what did you do ??
Cut the pinion off as you say,machined a plug for the end with a needle roller,found that when you do that the shaft pops up wards,there's a spring in the top do I machined a bushing which I put between the joint I used a which kept tension on the spring.
As to mounting(you have none except at the dash)I machined a large top hat bushing that mounted to the fire wall and held the column.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will for sure be using a wheel no larger than 14". My knees will pretty much be up beside the wheel, and I need space between the wheel and the door.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I didnt try turning the wheel much while the car was in my possesion, so I dont have a good feel for the effort to turn the wheel. I will fiddle with the existing wheel a bit before I select the size for a new wheel.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I will for sure be using a wheel no larger than 14". My knees will pretty much be up beside the wheel, and I need space between the wheel and the door.
What helped me the most, was installing Miata seats. I am 6' 200lbs. Sorry about the picture, I was test fitting during mock-up. I am running a 14" steering wheel.
RIMG0833-XL.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
13208.jpeg Too late to change seats, I already have the original ones recovered. I did like seeing your shoulder belt attachment point on the roll bar. I have been thinking about how I was doing that. I assume you welded a threaded bung in there?

For everyones amusement, here is a pic of me 6'8" 270 lbs standing next to my car.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
View attachment 22179 Too late to change seats, I already have the original ones recovered. I did like seeing your shoulder belt attachment point on the roll bar. I have been thinking about how I was doing that. I assume you welded a threaded bung in there?

For everyones amusement, here is a pic of me 6'8" 270 lbs standing next to my car.

No offense intended, but that is clearly a case of putting 270 pounds in a 170 pound bag. The limiting factor in moving the seat to the rear appears to be the seat back hitting the top / front edge of the package tray. It would be a fair amount of work, but it seems to me that modifying the front of the package tray (and the seat mounts) to create concave sections behind the seats might allow an extra 2-3 inches of rearward seat movement.