• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

anyone tried a different steering rack ?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
anyone ever tried to use a FIERO "Steering Rack" in a alpine conversion ? MGB, TR6, pinto, any others ? good bad points ?? just asking.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Search for MGB rack and Dale A set up. They come up on eBay from time to time. If you PM me I can send some pictures. Also you need to go to the UK Tiger site there's a couple threads there with power steering and other racks. As I said before STOC Tiger in the UK.
If you want Tiger pieces be prepared to cash in some bottles and cans and maybe some collectibles :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled forum topic.
Should you choose the Dale A designed MG rack that is somewhat quicker than the stock Tiger rack you won't be impressed with the cars turning radius and it sure doesn't feel like there's any improvement in the Ackerman angle.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I used the miget rack deal with the B arms to quick for my liking not worth the effort in my opinion, I use mutt 2 racks in my builds 3.5 turns lock to lock do what ever floats your boat!

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Search for MGB rack and Dale A set up. They come up on eBay from time to time. If you PM me I can send some pictures. Also you need to go to the UK Tiger site there's a couple threads there with power steering and other racks. As I said before STOC Tiger in the UK.
If you want Tiger pieces be prepared to cash in some bottles and cans and maybe some collectibles :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled forum topic.
Should you choose the Dale A designed MG rack that is somewhat quicker than the stock Tiger rack you won't be impressed with the cars turning radius and it sure doesn't feel like there's any improvement in the Ackerman angle.
"Search for MGB rack and Dale A set up"............. NO results found. another way to search ?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dale used the 61-72 Midget rack. It has a quicker ratio, 2.7 turns. So does the 60-74 MGB rack. The later rubber bumper 75-80 MGB has 3.5 same as the Mustang II. I've seen the Porsche 928/944 and Miata racks also. Here is a link on using the Midget rack with MGB steering arms.

TigersUnited.com

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Dale used the 61-72 Midget rack. It has a quicker ratio, 2.7 turns. So does the 60-74 MGB rack. The later rubber bumper 75-80 MGB has 3.5 same as the Mustang II. I've seen the Porsche 928/944 and Miata racks also. Here is a link on using the Midget rack with MGB steering arms.

TigersUnited.com
very helpful. thank you.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of the key dimensions to check on a prospective rack is the distance between the steering arm ball joints,

compared to the locations of the upper and lower A-arm fulcrum pins/pivots.

For example, the MG Midget rack is different dimensionally than a STD Tiger rack, so the ideal location to mount it is Lower

than the Tiger location.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
"so the ideal location to mount it is Lower than the Tiger location."

ORIG tiger rack required Cross Member "Notched". What is best "WIDTH" for the Swap Rack ? or do you just make up the difference between orig tiger Rack and swap with different length tie rods? (Was the "Orig Tiger Rack MADE Specificly for the Tiger or did they do a "GM thing" and use whatever they had laying around from a different English brand car ?) How far "ABOVE" should the rack be over the steering arm tie rod ends ? I've seen the front Cross Member "notched", the Frame Rails "notched", or both. has to be a "Correct" spot for the geometry.
Thank you. like to get it "right" the 1st time. LOL

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Fonz, Look at this diagram. Ideally on line B inner rack joint. Midget narrower rack would be lower. MGB would be higher.
Important tie rods are same angle as lower A arm at ride height. Durapine II (Bill's thread) shows good examples.

bump steer.jpg

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
That drawing is an over simplification. In the case of the Sunbeam (Tiger or want-to-be),

the position of the rack front to back has to be taken into account.

And fitting a rack to the Sunbeam front X-member has a lot of fixed points to live with, or change, at a cost.

Also, tie rod/steering arm angels compared to the ground or A-arms is again an over simplification/generalization.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
That drawing is an over simplification. In the case of the Sunbeam (Tiger or want-to-be),

the position of the rack front to back has to be taken into account.

And fitting a rack to the Sunbeam front X-member has a lot of fixed points to live with, or change, at a cost.

Also, tie rod/steering arm angels compared to the ground or A-arms is again an over simplification/generalization.

Well said! It's not a matter of just sticking it on ,so to speak, all the reasons I built my own cross member,looks like a Heidts drawing to me.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Let's do the history lesson. Depending on your point of view Bob and Mike Hokansen or Dale A. It's A because it's Akuewuski or something like that. Possibly Bob built the first front end and maybe it was Dale. In any event like a mouse trap guys seek to build a better one. Too bad there aren't kits available with parts lists and plans.

I've only driven one Hokansen equipped car for about 5 miles and I would say it transformers the Tiger. I do look forward to getting one on the car that's on my garage floor. Maybe when I get a 30 year project car back running I can take one that is already running great apart.

* Contains personal opinions please don't be offended this is a West coast history and sure there's other input.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
ARE the MGB Steering ARMS Any "Longer" than the Sunbeam Arms ??

Which "Sunbeam Arms" are you referring to? Series Alpine rear-steer arms or Tiger front-steer arms? The Series Alpine steering arms and Tiger steering arms are very different.

If your question is about MGB steering arms versus Tiger steering arms, then MGB steering arms put the outer tie-rod joint a little further forward than Tiger steering arms. I don't think the difference is enough to matter, but YMMV. As information, MGB steering arms have to be modified to fit the Series Alpine "stub axle carrier" aka "spindle" or "upright."

Last edited: