• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone had Gearbox rebuild in LA, CA

Ashfried

Donation Time
Looking for someone to rebuild my Series V with OD transmisson in the Los Angeles area. Seems like my 3rd gear syncro ring is shot and would love to find someone whe knows this gearbox... any sugestions?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Ash, just spoke with British European Auto in San Pedro, they say they are familiar with the transmission and could take care of it. They also said they could probably salvage the parts out of your other transmission. (Maybe) Anyway,
310-833-1525
Best I can do.

Ashfried

Donation Time
Thanks Jim. My mechanic is back in town on Monday, and may be able to do it too, but nice to have a back up. Since I have had some time to do some reading, I am starting to think it could be the 3rd & 4th shift fork, since it is hit and miss shifting into 3rd gear when the engine is off. If that is the case it is a much simpler fix since the forks are at the top of the box. I'll have Darrin take a look on Monday and go from there. Fingers crossed. if it is the fork, SS sells a new upgraded one with the rod for under $100.

Ashfried

Donation Time
It looks like I got lucky. My mechanic has a guy who rebuilds all his MG & Triumph gearboxes and overdrives. He is sure that my series V is right up his alley. He will reach out to him next week and I should be able to get back on the road (well. back on the road being able to use 3rd gear) in the next couple weeks. It has been a challenge going first, second, forth, but anything for a drive in the sunshine.
Haveing a good mechanic is almost as important as having a good wife.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Sounds good Ash, let us know his name if he doesn't mind, can always use a transmission guy in our Data base.
See ya.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder who Steve A. In El Segundo would suggest? If it was a top loader I'd know who to suggest. I know Jeff from the local adult soccer leagues. If you want to know the local take come to the 3rd Sunday British show at Golden Cove . He is often there and so are clients and others who can direct you.

Ashfried

Donation Time
Alpine went in for gearbox rebuild today!!!! Having them go through the OD and put in a new clutch while they are at it. I plan on selling it soon, so new buyer will have a nice car.

Ashfried

Donation Time
YAHOO! I'm back on the road.
I thought it was the 3rd gear Syncro or the a shift fork.... I was wrong. It ended up being the Mainshaft Nut. Apparently they have a bad habbit of backing out and chewing up the input shaft along with 4th gear. The upside is that I now have a totally rebuilt Transmission and overdrive, and put in a new clutch while they where in there. I was lucky that Darrin at Darrens MG new a guy who works on classic Brit race cars who could do the rebuild. He wouldn't tell me his name (State Secret), but he is local and does great work. My car has never felt this good. Tomorrow I'm hitting Supercar Sunday car show and then taking a long drive down the coast.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The mainshaft on the front & rear never seem to be tighten correctly. I think because they don't have the right accessories to hold the mainshaft down.
Jan