• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anybody live near the Fires in Calif....?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just to let you guys know a good friend called me this morning and said He and His wife were awaken by a robot call alerting them to a fire sweeping their area and to "Get out immediately"... They responded and nearly lost their lives driving out.

Everything they owned was destroyed in a very short time.

He was doing a V6 Conversion and perchance it might be saved because it was in the shop for some tuning a few miles away.

Another of our member about ten miles south was OK but don't know for sure what is going to happen....

Please put them in your prayers for safety and recovery.

Some of the pictures I've seen look worst than some war zones.

DanR

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
These things can move unbelievably fast. I had an aunt that lived in San Bernardino for many years. She lost everything during a wildfire. I think it was the 2003 Old Fire. The neighbors banged on her door. When she answered they screamed at her to get out, that her house was on fire. All she got out with was the clothes on her back and her purse. She often joked that she didn't even have time to grab her teeth.

An excerpt from 10/28/2003 edition of the "The Morning Journal" article "30,000 homes in path of wildfires"

In San Bernardino County, a blaze called the Old Fire has destroyed more than 450 homes. On Monday, the flames jumped a road and moved into the heavily forested small town of Crestline.

A major fire burning closer to Los Angeles is believed to have been started by arsonists.

"Those who start these fires are no better than domestic terrorists and should be dealt with as such," said Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley.

The arsonists "have no idea how many lives they've ruined," said Trisha Mitchell, standing amid the debris that was once her childhood home in San Bernardino.

Days after running for her life from a fire that ripped through her San Bernardino neighborhood, Pati Wecker returned home in the Del Rosa area to find the only thing left standing of her house was an archway.

Across the street, a park with green grass and trees was untouched.

Digging through the ruins of her home, Wecker found an untouched porcelain angel and two beer steins. A burned photo album crumbled when she picked it up.

Her husband was killed in Vietnam and she raised her six children in the home that is known in the neighborhood as "Momma's House."

"They all said we will build another house," said Wecker, 69.

When the fire closed in, the only things she was able to get out of the house were her purse and a few clothes. "Everything in there, even my five cats," she said, pointing to the ruins. She was unable to get part of her dentures: "I don't even have my teeth."

Associated Press writers Ryan Pearson, Chelsea Carter and Scott Lindlaw in Washington contributed to this story.

Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
The first day of my retirement a fire started about a mile from my house (La Tuna Fire) It ended up being the biggest brush fire in LA City history, but luckily only 3 building were lost, the brush always grows back This is California's fire season

Back east and the south are having a big hurricane season with much damage

Regardless of where you live it is quite important that you are prepared

I hope you all that are effected come out safely

Bruce

dwolff706

Gold Level Sponsor
We are south of Santa Rosa about 90 miles but the fires are also now burning much closer in Fairfield; we have less than a half mile visibility (smoke). This is far from over, there is too much fuel on the ground and it is moving at an incredible pace. Ash falling in the east bay...

Be safe all,
Dave

john.hemsath

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pray for rain

I live about 50 miles SE of Fairfield and have spent a fair amount of time in the Napa area having friends and relatives who live in Marin and Sonoma counties. I heard on the news the fire was moving along at the rate of 100 feet per second on Sunday night when the winds were howling. Yesterday the sky was filled with smoke as far south as San Jose as it was a calm day. Today the winds are blowing again and I'm sure the responders have their hands full. To put it into perspective, so far the equivalent of the area of 170 Gold Gate Parks have burned and about 4000 structures no longer exist or are a shell of their former self.

Pray for rain as that's about the only thing that will stop this horrific event.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I spoke with Peter, one of our fellow members, yesterday afternoon. He and His wife were the ones that I had previously POSTED they got out with the clothes on their backs, one car and little else.

Everything left behind was destroyed. He had a vineyard, it too is gone.

They are in a Motel awaiting a move to a "fully furnished house" so they can begin sorting things out as to what's next!

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Quote "the fire was moving along at the rate of 100 feet per second on Sunday night"

Wow! Absolutely wow. To give that quote some context, 88 ft/sec is 60 mph.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I saw some video of the fire sweeping across the land and it reminded me of a flame thrower or a blow torch on a level plain :eek:

Can't imagine being present....

DanR