• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Antenna Ideas

Mark T

Donation Time
Got Sunny back on the road on Saturday after 4 1/2 months of repairs and now it's time to... put her away for the winter! :mad: Gotta love living in the Great White North! At least it gives me time to work on some of the miscellaneous repairs that I was hoping to do this summer. One of the things on the list is installing her new radio (of course I bought an Alpine deck!). After seeing Dwain's console at Invasion I've decided to build something like that for Sunny. One thing that I'm not sure of is what to do for an antenna. Not sure if I want to go with one of the hidden antennas (anyone have any experience with them?) or a whip antenna (and if so, what mounting position looks the best?). If anyone has any ideas that they'd like to share I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a "hidden" antenna for my '67, unfortunately it didn't work because of the location of the old one (on front fender 3" from bonnet 2" from seam) I thought it was a great location until I discovered there's a brace or something like that underneath that location. If your location will accept the hidden type I've got one $20 freight included.

Tom j

Mark, Are you sure it's too cold to drive a few more times ? You got a heater don't cha ?

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Tom! I've got a great heater but it isn't the cold that's the problem, it's the salt that they use on the roads when it snows (which could happen any day now).

Is the antenna that you have one that mounts in the fender and can be retracted down into the fender? The type of hidden antenna that I was talking about are the amplified ones that you mount inside the car so that you don't have to drill any holes in the body.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep Mark, That salt does make a huge difference in driving or not, just think next spring you'll really be ready to log some miles, early in the season too !
Your car doesn't have an antenna "hole" ? I'd keep it that way. Mine's got quite a large antenna "area" where the P O tightened the thing up so much it distorted the metal about 2" around the hole. The antenna I have is the fender hole type.
Good luck on your winter projects !

Tom j

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
My Story

Hey Mark,
Started out with the restoration guys installing the retro metal one on the fender, I already had the hole, guess it originally had a radio. Since my dash was all custom made I purchased the Pioneer CD/Stereo set from wally world on sale for 150 bucks. They custom installed the set and the upholstery guy worked around the speakers, he painted the cones black to match interior. Well in the pursuit of covering Vicki one day WE snapped off the antennae, yes metal will snap. So I bought the cheap rubber tacky looking thing from wally world and it works, plus it lays down flat when the cover is on. I liked the retro metal one looked sharp but not practical. On my new sky I bought the small stubby GM kind to replace the whip, looks cool and works great. Large whip antennae on small sport cars looks like its a RC (radio controlled) toy. I would look on the INTERNET and if you cannot use the hidden one get a stubby type that way the cover will not catch on it.

Donna
:D

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Tom! I agree that putting a hole in the body isn't the best thing to do, but I don't want to spend $40 - $70 for an in car antenna if the reception on them is crappy. I was hoping that maybe someone had used a Tune Trapper or Autoloc antenna.

Hi Donna! I would love to see some pictures of your speaker installation. I still haven't figured out where to mount them. Thanks!

howard

Donation Time
Mark- have you considered the "hidden" antennas that are fitted inside the outside rearview mirror(s)? I don't know how well they work... just seems like a cool idea that'd keep you from drilling holes in your baby.

They come up for sale on e-Bay from time to time. I am not endorsing this product, as I haven't any experience with it. Just seems like a viable option.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mark, Why not just put in a CD changer ? Burn your own music, listen to what you want... NO COMMERICALS...cruising in the 'beam ..What more could you ask for ?
Tom j

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
GT Speakers

The 2 front small speakers are down by your feet on both sides, here is the picture of the 2 in the back mounted. This only works on a GT since I don't have the hold for the soft top. They are one way inexpensive speakers but it all works!

Donna

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 24

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just my 2cents worth I have used both amplified and the T type under the dash powered mount and I had no luck, the reciption as no good! I have installed a retracable unit on my Alpine, I had to extend the hole in the fender down past the inner brace,now i can push the antenna all the way down when I put the cover on the car and it works great! good reciption!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm facing the same decison with my SIV, so this is a very timely discussion for me. Years ago (maybe 25) I remember reading an article on how - and where - to install a motorized antenna. I think it was in a TE/AE newsletter. I would love a copy of the article, if anyone has it. Thanks.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Von! I'll have to keep an eye on eBay to see if they would look OK on Sunny.

Hi Tom! I will eventually put a changer in but I really like the local rock station.

Thanks for the picture Donna! Unfortunately I don't have a GT though.

Thanks for the info George! I'll definitely stay away from the in car antennae.

Hi Jim! A motorized antenna sounds very interesting. I hope someone has that information to share with us!

Wombat

Donation Time
When I bought my SIV it has a motorised antenna fitted to the right rear quarter panel about 4 inches from the back. The body of the antenna fitted neatly between the fuel tank and the tail light. Needed a long cable though....

Just a thought.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I remember some discussion here about putting a manually-collapsable antenna mast in the weatherstrip rubber between the door and windshield. Comments were mostly negative, but if you run mostly top down, and don't want it in the way when you put on the cover, that would be a pretty good place to hide it.

Another thing you might try is making a connection to the chrome trim around the windshield -- the parts that are isolated within the rubber. This won't have the reception of a real aerial, but may be enough for around-town use.

And regarding CD changers: you might consider a well-stocked MP3 player instead... a solid-state one will never skip, is as small as the remote of a changer, and you'll always have the right tune for the drive.

Ken in Columbus

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks for the ideas guys! I was going to check out the area in the back of the rear quarters to see if there was room there. I wonder if anyone has ever mounted twin antennas on the back like some of the old 50s & 60s finned cars? :D