• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another youtube video by Steve - Sunbeams on dyno

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, that makes me feel better. The year after installation, the 2.5 DuraPine put down 120 hp @ the wheels and 6,000. I was disappointed, hoping for 140's. It was not running the best, but I felt I had to take advantage of the opportunity. The next day the #1 coil (out of 4) took a total crap.

That is with a stock Fusion engine with homemade intake manifold and header and 2" exhaust.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's hilarious 70 hp out of a stock 260 something is way tired in that engine bay.
Just saying the magic number on a modified with a major insurer is 50 hp. 272 was pulled out of a SPMDR built 260 but many at a local Tiger event were in the 150-170 plus range as I recall. So the morale is set the rev limiter low on your 302 ;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
A stock healthy tiger 260 would put down around 105-110 to the wheels. So that car was very tired and steve pretty much said so.. If guess new points, plugs, leads amd a general cleanup and it would probably gain a few useful HP.

On striaght shootout mode ( no adjustments for temperature etc) on a twin roller dyno dynamics dyno i managed to get 282 to the wheels .. The test was to sort mixtures and timing... I changed fuel metering rods and adjusted timing slightly after but never got back to the rolling road ...but the changes did make it pickup cleaner and also gaimed a few mpg.

The 1623cc race motor in my alpine on twin SUs put down 104.4 to the wheels...but the motor could have been assembled much better...
Hopefully the new one will be around 120-125 to the wheels on the SU... And +10-15hp if i bolt on 2 x DCOEs

RootesRooter

Donation Time
How many hp are usually lost between engine and wheels on an Alpine or Tiger? I've read that a stock 260 on the stand only put out around 140. Haven't read of anyone testing a stock 1725 on the stand.
'

RootesRacer

Donation Time
How many hp are usually lost between engine and wheels on an Alpine or Tiger? I've read that a stock 260 on the stand only put out around 140. Haven't read of anyone testing a stock 1725 on the stand.
'
Figure 15 to 20hp drivetrain loss.
It will be an even higher loss on the tiger due to larger trans and axle.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I penned am article for Tiger Tales after a Dyno day . It's clear that the early gross hp of 165 on a 260 was flywheel and nothing bolted on. I was there and have driven 5 260 powered cars , owing one for 2 years. Not one was as bad as the barn find results seen in the video.
Big difference even in good sounding cars. Once you get a feel for a car near it's dry weight you can appreciate the plus driver's and everything else just like gross and net hp.

alpine_64

Donation Time
'
136 gross with no accesories and no engine bay simulation