• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Another V6 SV Alpine

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3147.JPG IMG_3123.JPG Winter project underway..... Starting to get the Alpine ready to put a 84' V6 2.8 with a T9 trans out of a TVR 280i (same as the Capri) with 40k on the motor (Thanks George Barton). Also got in the deal a 84' 2.8 Ranger V6 so lot's of options. TVR motor has no emissions other than a PVC valve on it and Bosch FI manifold. If anyone knows of a 2bbl manifold European version (also seen a 3 x 2 bbl available). Want to keep it simple for now. I have seen in past postings (2012) that other members have used the T9 with Capri V6 and it looks like a easy fit. If anyone has pictures of the shifter and motor installed (with the Siamese exhaust) would help in what's involved. Have the kit from Dan R as a start.
Thanks in advance. -Al

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
On another note.....Gas tanks dipped and leak checked, looked great for 30 years of barn storage. Got the paint out of the inside of the tanks. The old gas smell sure has a lasting effect! The plugs in the bottom of the tanks, are they a tapered or straight 1/8-27 pp? Had one that seemed stripped, chased it with a pp tap and changed the plug. Getting things ready to put back in once the paint is dry.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gas tanks installed and trunk items put back together. Got the Ranger V6 stripped down to rough fit the motor mounts on the cradle. Put the T9 trans & bellhousing on along with the motor mounts on the V6, put the assembly on the trans jack and with the Alpine on the 2 post hoist put the engine in from the bottom. After figuring out what to modify on the trans tunnel got it in. Bolted the cradle up and set the engine mounts approximately where items cleared. Put Dan's headers in to further adjust clearance. Was amazed how they fit in the engine compartment, very little clearance with some minor treeking. Will spot weld the mounts in then finish weld the cradle then off to the powder coaters.
IMG_3154.JPG IMG_3172.JPG IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3177.JPG

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got all the front cradle and suspension parts back from D & D Ind coatings. Powder coated with 60% gloss chassie black, Jeff & crew do an excellent job. They do a lot of paint work for Case and military spec components. Located in Racine WiscIMG_3330.JPGIMG_3331.JPGIMG_3332.JPG Now the fun part of assembling.
Found a grey color that matches the rear housing factory. Lincoln electric motor gray trying to keep as much as the yellow markings on top. Snow showers off and on with 30-40 mph wind gotta love these Wisc Springtime weather.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking good there Al. Man the powder coating is nice and shows off the parts nicely:)

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan they do good work, they do a lot of work for Grove Gear which I retired from. Support your local businesses at every chance.

65beam

Donation Time
Al,
You may encounter a problem with the reproduction upper ball joints fitting if the shop powder coated the opening where they set. Ask me how myself and another old guy found this out. Speculation is that they're being made slightly larger to take up wear in the openings. Test fit them.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mounting the electric fuel pump in the Alpine, by most of the post that I've seen the battery box is the best location. Does someone have a picture of it on the battery Box? How does the exhaust get routed? Under the battery box? Would it have the same issue as the Tiger with the fuel pump over the exhaust?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Al, I like keeping the battery in the stock Alpine location.

Mount the fuel pump (electric) underneath the back side of the spare tire holder. I have some PIC's of where and how mine is mounted in Blue Boy.... Want some?

65beam

Donation Time
Bob-Does that interfer with the snap ring location due to excessive coating?
Al,
Speculation is that the reproduction upper joints are a tad larger in diameter than originals so they will fit snug in worn or distorted control arms. Adding the powder coating closes up the opening so reproductions may not fit correctly. Ask me why Doug called me one day and wanted to know if I had a set of original NOS QH/ Rootes pieces. I did and they're in one of our recent builds. When he rebuilt my spare front crossmember that is stored for future use if needed pieces were painted and did not get powder coated after being dipped

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
They masked off the bore,, no coating on that. Will Measure the Old ones to see if there is a difference-Thanks Bob

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Al, I like keeping the battery in the stock Alpine location.

Mount the fuel pump (electric) underneath the back side of the spare tire holder. I have some PIC's of where and how mine is mounted in Blue Boy.... Want some?
Sure would, thanks Dan.

65beam

Donation Time
They masked off the bore,, no coating on that. Will Measure the Old ones to see if there is a difference-Thanks Bob
Al,
So much of the parts being produced today for these cars are not made to factory specs. The parts are limited runs, they don't have the engineering drawings and probably have to rely on an old part for reference. SS had temperature senders made a few years back and they were useless. The unit bottomed out in the housing and couldn't be used. When I placed a parts order last week I heard about a change to one of the parts from what his previous order was. Look at the postings concerning the oil pump. We have an old guy in this area that has said the same thing for decades. "Some modification required". I'm sure you've heard him say this. Check your lower control arms to make sure they're not bent as well as the openings for the fulcrum pins.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The lower control arms were checked and aligned before being sent out. One had to be tweeked, Bruce Paul had a bar made up to check alignment. The "some mods required"is sometime scary, if you have access to a complete machine shop then it's a breeze. Rick has always been good at returning bad parts, well aware of foreign supply chain. Suppliers get "creative" occasionally and doesn't get caught till the end user gets it.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rear springs assembled and rear end put back in. Brake lines next, found leakers on the main one to the rear and one across the housing. Found a good use of a shark euro steamer, removes blow by coating under the hood by steaming it off . Was being thrown out @ our collection site, works great! Also good for sterilizing surfaces with steam!
!IMG_3341.JPG