• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

AND SO THE FUN BEGINS

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel,

Found the post with the picture of the left side mount for the Panhard bar; as you noted, it might need some beefing up for the lateral loads.

I am using DD402's on the front, but it is a fabricated front crossmember and suspension. The shock travel of 3.875" with a motion ratio of 1.67 gives 6.47" of total suspension travel (less a little for a compression bump stop). DD501's would have been nice (a little more shock travel), but I could not fit them in the available space.

The rear shocks will be DD702's (with a top stud mount conversion) which have 6.5" (less a little for a compression bump stop) of travel and an extended length of 19.5" which matches up with the rear ride height I want.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
QUOTE="PROCRAFT, post: 204938, member: 612"]QA1 doesn't even show these # any more I think they have changed their number system they still make shocks obviously![/QUOTE]

Did some digging and:

The TC1914P part number appears to be a QA1 TS505 (non-coil over, single adjustable, stud top mount, 8.75" compressed, 13.50" extended) which is a pretty close dimensional match for the factory original front shock.

The DR7855B part number appears to be a QA1 DS601 (coil over, single adjustable, bearing mounts top and bottom, 12.625" compressed, 18.75" extended).

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel,

If I understand your question correctly, I think you will have to modify the front "bottom shock mounting bracket". The O.D. of the bottom mounting "eye" on my QA1 shocks is about 1-3/4" (vs. 1-1/2" on my factory Monroe-Woodhead front shocks) and is slightly too large in outside diameter to fit in the bottom mounting bracket (the width is OK). Simple mod, just cut a slot in the bottom of the mounting bracket and weld a piece of curved 1/8" x 1" bar stock over the slot. Also, the cross-bolt hole in the "bottom shock mounting bracket" is too small for the QA1 bottom bush which uses a 1/2" bolt.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I still have the spare parts that came with those shocks. I will send them with the other items I am going to send you this week.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Question, with the car gutted do you think the rear bumper mounts will support the car on its side? Suspension bits will be removed for a total rebuild/painting, doors, boot and bonnet off, and interior pieces out. Basically a shell. I am making front "L" brackets to bolt to the frame then to the wood tilt. This is where experience matters and I am not experienced with Alpines. I can only imagine the damage done if the body drops to the floor...even if only a foot.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, I'm not sure what has been done here, on this car it seems years ago when Nick and I talked it was a matter of the bushing.
However I understand your problem, what I did way back on a stock cross member I put coil overs on is I machined a lower shock mount that the shock protruded thru, member Black Dog has another approach to this he used the mustang coil kit and made new lower mounts, a much better deal if your using the stock cross member.
The only thing about that is you might be limited on spring rates?

Joel,

I can't get excited about the QA1 M-II front stock mount coil-over setup on a Series Alpine suspension system. Adjustable shocks are certainly a better mousetrap, but the apparent advantages of multiple spring rates and adjustable ride height are illusions and the limitations of the pre-WW-II front suspension design can't be fixed with better shocks.

My carefully considered opinion is that adjustable shocks on the Series Alpine front suspension system is as good as it gets short of a complete re-design.

Stormbringer

Donation Time
For Charles,
I had my car on rotisserie using the bumper mounts with no issues. Have since re-mounted the rear attachment to the frame to provide clearance to do body work.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 40

alpine_64

Donation Time
Joel, with all the various front X members you've built and custom rears in the sunbeams have you ever looked into or done an IRS?

Looks great .. Nicks a lucky boy

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Stormbringer and PROCRAFT, THANKS! I think my rear tilt and front mounts will be fabricated to bolt to the side of the frame horns with substantial "L" brackets. Pulling the suspension now.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
That looks great Joel. I am deliberating how to run the exhaust on my Alger project. I dont want to relocate the battery, so I have been leaning toward a single exhaust.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Joel,

How are you mounting the top of the rear coil-over shocks? I can't find a picture showing that detail.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, I think Barry was talking about the top mount. Stud mount in original location? Reinforced?