• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aluminum Oil Pan Fitment

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
So I've come into possession of an aluminum oil pan that I will be installing on my Series V.

I have done some forum searches and found that there are amendments to be made between the way it will be fitted compared to the original oil pan, such as bolt length, brackets not being used (maybe?), etc...but the parts to the puzzle seem to be spread across multiple threads.

Would one of you fine Sunbeamers be willing to condense the differences and requirements in a single reply to this post, so that I would have a concise procedure at the time of installation, avoiding any mystery? I have also seen some back and forth on oil coolers, so a definitive answer on that would be helpful also.

I have a stock 1725 with the only changes being a Pertronix ignitor and coil, which I know is irrelevant here.

The aluminum pan is currently attached to a block but is not in a car.

As always thanks...and Happy New Year!

Tod

Last edited:

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
No replies, so I thought I bump this once and see if anyone has anything to offer.
If not...I'll compile from what I can find in separate posts.

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
The alloy pan os off the arrow series cars with a 10° canted engine so the drain filler will be in the wromg location for normal pil changes.. Jack the car up on the opposite side to drain the pil.

Re bolts.. The rear of the alloy pan has 2 very lomg bolts that go up through the casting.. If missing there is a guy in the UK reproing them. Or out a wanted ad up.

You dont use the 2 staniliser brackets off the bell housing with the alloy sump.

The pan gasket is different iirc.

Thete should be abaffle in the sump make sure its there amke sure your pil pickup doesnt foul it.

Re oil cooler use.. In theory with the allpy sump you dont need it.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Tod: I can't compare the aluminum plan to the steel one, as my car had the pan on it when I bought it in 1978 and it has been that way ever since. The longer bolt Michael mentioned is shown in your second photo. If you only have the one, I always thought it would be pretty simple to thread both ends of a piece of rod and make a stud that would take the place of the bolt. The fact that the pan is currently on a block makes it hopeful that the baffle is still on the pan. They are frequently lost and not reproduced, so be careful with it!

Michael may be correct that the oil pan gasket is different, but am pretty sure I used a standard gasket when I rebuilt my motor and never had a problem with it.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod: I can't compare the aluminum plan to the steel one, as my car had the pan on it when I bought it in 1978 and it has been that way ever since. The longer bolt Michael mentioned is shown in your second photo. If you only have the one, I always thought it would be pretty simple to thread both ends of a piece of rod and make a stud that would take the place of the bolt. The fact that the pan is currently on a block makes it hopeful that the baffle is still on the pan. They are frequently lost and not reproduced, so be careful with it!

Michael may be correct that the oil pan gasket is different, but am pretty sure I used a standard gasket when I rebuilt my motor and never had a problem with it.

Thanks for the input. It's an interesting story on the oil pan.

My dad won the oil pan at an auction at one of Tiger Tom's events, probably at least 20 years ago. He really liked the oil pan but upon returning home, a friend of his who was also a Sunbeamer...REALLY liked the oil pan. Lol

My dad ended up giving the oil pan to his friend. Fast forward to six years or so ago...my dad's friend passed away. He actually had a stroke while underneath his Alpine...my dad was pretty devastated because they worked on cars together, pretty much every weekend.
That friend was involved in the restoration of my dad's Alpine and his Tiger and painted (25 0r so years ago) the Alpine that I now own. He was a top notch body man.

His widow sold his Alpine and his Tiger but my dad found out a couple of weeks ago that there were still some Sunbeam parts left over at his friend's house.
His widow is on fixed income and my dad, to try to help her out, offered to buy whatever was still there.

The oil pan that he had given his friend (as well as some other items he had given him) was part of the lot, so now it's back and my dad has given it to me.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Since you don't use the stabilizer bars, and there are two bolt holes in the pan that don't have corresponding holes in the bellhousing, make sure the two bolts holding the pan to the bellhousing are extra tight to prevent vibration.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Since you don't use the stabilizer bars, and there are two bolt holes in the pan that don't have corresponding holes in the bellhousing, make sure the two bolts holding the pan to the bellhousing are extra tight to prevent vibration.
IIRC there is also a belhousing hole that doesnt line up with the sumps provided holes that will need drilled in the bellhousing for a rigid bolt-up.