• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alternator conversion

Ranger

Donation Time
I have a 68 SV and wanted to know if anyone has converted their alternator to a less expensive American conversion? What did you use and any other details will be helpful.
Thanks

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I installed an aftermarket "mini" 1 wire alternator which is smaller and higher capacity than the original alternator.

This is just an example...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-CHEVY-MINI-DENSO-STREET-ROD-RACE-1-WIRE-8162-/131207849628?hash=item1e8c98e69c:g:uJ0AAOSwiLdWCAiZ&vxp=mtr

They are available from 35 amps to 55 amps IIRC.

There are other slightly larger one available for up to 80 amps.

In any case they are so much smaller than stock, they even fit between the block and stock headers (where the smaller generator went).

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I installed an aftermarket "mini" 1 wire alternator which is smaller and higher capacity than the original alternator.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-CHEVY-MINI-DENSO-STREET-ROD-RACE-1-WIRE-8162-/131207849628?hash=item1e8c98e69c:g:uJ0AAOSwiLdWCAiZ&vxp=mtr

In any case they are so much smaller than stock, they even fit between the block and stock headers (where the smaller generator went).

RR ... I've got a GM internally reg alt,(stock reg history) 3 wire and like the size of the one you posted as I'd like to run some headers I've got off a 62 SII .... how is the wiring setup...same as the GM? and can it clear the stock headers(not Ricks) I know I'll need to fab. a bracket .... the wiring is my concern ... not my strong area.

... Thanks, David

RootesRacer

Donation Time
RR ... I've got a GM internally reg alt,(stock reg history) 3 wire and like the size of the one you posted as I'd like to run some headers I've got off a 62 SII .... how is the wiring setup...same as the GM? and can it clear the stock headers(not Ricks) I know I'll need to fab. a bracket .... the wiring is my concern ... not my strong area.

... Thanks, David

Its literally 1 wire, though they do make one that has a warning light output too. If you find the guy on ebay that sells different versions of the same alternator he can set you up with higher output and one that has ignition input and the warning output.
The ignition input makes it so it begins charging at a lower engine RPM.
The true "single" wire alternators are self exciting and require a certain engine RPM before the alternator actually starts to function. Having the ignition wire makes it 2 wires but it will charge at much lower RPMs without having to rev the engine a bit after startup.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Alternator

You can by a single wire GM style alternator just about anywhere kits to convert are also available from Summit or Jegs we opted to use a Nippo Denso single wire(smaller) you just have to do your own brackets,if you look on ebay you'll find some Denso clones that work just fine.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time

RR .... Would You(or anyone else)using this Denso Alternator please post some pictures of your setup. I'd like to use the extra sett of 62' stock headers I have on this SV I'm working on and the pics would sure help even if your using a different exhaust mani ... though the stock headers in a pic would be optimal.

Thank! .... David

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHEVY-M...ash=item1e8c98db8c:g:1pAAAOSwWnFWCAiU&vxp=mtr

RootesRacer

Donation Time
RR .... Would You(or anyone else)using this Denso Alternator please post some pictures of your setup. I'd like to use the extra sett of 62' stock headers I have on this SV I'm working on and the pics would sure help even if your using a different exhaust mani ... though the stock headers in a pic would be optimal.

Thank! .... David

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CHEVY-M...ash=item1e8c98db8c:g:1pAAAOSwWnFWCAiU&vxp=mtr

I'll try and snap a photo over the weekend.
Keep in mind that I dont "currently" run headers.

BTW, this is the guy I got my alternator from. He can set you up with other configs too, like a higher current unit or a 2 or 3 wire setup plus the connector needed to run it.
The 1 wire is simple to wire but the 2 wire (second wire to ignition/coil) will allow initial charge at a lower RPM and the 3 wire will allow you to run an idiot light.