• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alternator concerns

66Alpine

Donation Time
hey beamheads,

When i was attempting to synk my carbs while the engine was running i noticed a blue flame emanating from what i think is the ground terminal.from the alternator..it would grow brighter as i opened the throttle.. also it seemed to be, the connector was not snug against the alt. but floating along the bolt that ran into the alternator..

what's the deal???? would this be , perhaps why my ammeter is generally in the neg. charge mode..?

any help out there would be appreciated....

Thanx , Johnny

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm not sure which alternator you're using, but my AC Delco grounds through the body of the alt. as it is bolted to the engine. There's only two leads coming out, both "hot" (positive): one the sensor that goes to the ign. switch, the other the main current supply. If you have blue flames (sounds spectacular!) are you sure they are not coming from your main output (hot) lead? Whichever, you need to remove the wire, clean both terminal and wire connector, and re-install, making sure it's tight. I use both a star washer and an anti-vibration (diaphragm) nut to make sure the current flows OK and it doesn't loosen.

Remove the battery ground lead before working on this! The primary lead can carry enough current to cause damage/injury if it touches any part of the body or engine.

Wasn't there a Land Speed Record contender called Blue Flame?

Wombat

Donation Time
Dave

Originally across one of the gearbox mounts on the rear cross member. One end under one of the one of the bolts holding the mount to the gearbox and the other end under one of the bolts holding the rear crossmember to the body.