• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Values?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So what's the latest thought on Alpine values these days? Last time I looked when I was thinking about selling my car about 5 years ago, there were some sales at $12,000 for really top cars. Obviously they aren't going to do anything crazy at a BJ auction. I've seen Tiger prices at least a strong $10k more than they were back then. But, I'd be shocked if Alpines are pushing $20k.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Alpine Values

Well, there have been a few that have sold for over $20K, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I've always held that an well sorted correctly restored, or original, Alpine should be of the same value as an MGB or other car of the same caliber. I guess these days that would be between $10-15 K, depending on the car and who wants it!;)
Cheers!
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Well, there have been a few that have sold for over $20K, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I've always held that an well sorted correctly restored, or original, Alpine should be of the same value as an MGB or other car of the same caliber. I guess these days that would be between $10-15 K, depending on the car and who wants it!;)
Cheers!
Steve
The problem with that reasoning, is that the Alpine never was as popular as the MG's and Triumphs. I'm afraid you'll find that the MG and Truimph guys are willing to pay a lot more for their preferences, than us THRIFTY Sunbeam owners are for our favorite spotrs car..

Jose:)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
alpine value

That's what I think!!:D I know I've converted a couple of MG & Triumph guys to "our" way of thinking!
Cheers!
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
But shouldn't the MGB cost less since it is ugly and not beautiful like the Alpine? :D
I absolutely agree! They don't know a real sports car when they see one. When it comes to looks, the Alpine is head and shoulders above the rest.

Jose:D

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Here's what NADA Collector Evaluator says

Take this for what it's worth. I'm sure this refers to running cars. No column for V6Jose's Conversions yet.....

Classic Cars - Passenger Cars
1967 SUNBEAM
ALPINE V
2 DOOR SPORT ROADSTER

February 22, 2007

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
$4,200 $6,525 $12,250

TOTAL PRICE $4,200 $6,525 $12,250

1967 SUNBEAM TIGER
2 DOOR SPORT ROADSTER

February 22, 2007

$15,500 $23,000 $31,900

TOTAL PRICE $15,500 $23,000 $31,900

1967 SUNBEAM TIGER II
2 DOOR ROADSTER
February 22, 2007

$17,800 $26,000 $41,100

TOTAL PRICE $17,800 $26,000 $41,100

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jose, while I agree the Alpine is a good looker, it cannot stand against the Healey 3000. NOTHING on 4 wheels can match that car for looks.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

In a recent UK classic car magazine, there was a series V Alpine at an auction house that were asking nearly 15,000 pounds (AUS$37,189 or US$29,343). I did a check and the Alpine was sold (we can only assume for the above price). That is an excellent price but not quite as high as the beautiful red Alpine sold last year that was maticulously restored Ingvar Larsson (please correct me if I am wrong).

Regards, Robin.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jose, while I agree the Alpine is a good looker, it cannot stand against the Healey 3000. NOTHING on 4 wheels can match that car for looks. Bill

Nah, the ultimate "pants priser" was the Jaguar E-Type Series 1, contemporaneous with the Alpine. If a guy with one of these and his own pad couldn't have his disgusting way with a fair damsel, he would have to be uglier than John Kerry.

250px-1963_Jaguar_XK-E_Roadster.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
alpine values

just out of curiosity,what kind of values do you guys put on your cars?what value do you have on your insurance?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose, while I agree the Alpine is a good looker, it cannot stand against the Healey 3000. NOTHING on 4 wheels can match that car for looks.

Bill
Bill,

I agree that the Austin Healy is beautiful, but it was in a different price range. The AH and XKE weren't in the economy price class, like the Triumphs and MG's were. With all of that, a well done Sunbeam, in my opinion, is still better looking than those other cars. The AH and XKE were more swoopy, but I like the clean aggressive lines of the Alpines and Tigers.

I remember running into a pretty, blue XKE in San Bernardino, California, on the freeway, with my first V6 Alpine. I challenged him to a drag and he went for it. I beat him, although I didn't run away from him, but I did walk away from him. I do have to admit that he did have two guys in the car at the time, so it could have been a bit closer, but I would have beaten him anyway. I had fun and so did the XKE guys.

Jose:D

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Just an idea about the price (-ideas) here in Switzerland.
The blue Alpine is a nice one, sitting there for almost one year. This applies for the tiger too.
There where Years without a single Rootes Car on the market.
In general i've got the impression they come slowly out of the barns.
I guess 15kCHF will be a suitable price for a nice example. 1.00 CHF = 0.807537 USD
Anything above is a dream not comming through.

cheers
Andy

napa 1

Donation Time
One thing the Alpine has going for it is it's uniqueness in the sports car segment. Almost everyone I show my Alpine to has heard of one, but has never really seen one in person...can't say that about an MG or TR. They are always impressed with the quality of design, fit and finish compared to other 60' British roadsters.

I've always thought the Daimler Dart was the coolest looking car, other than the Alpine, of that period. Difficult to restore I've heard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Daim...oryZ6472QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine and Tiger prices are always difficult to judge. There are the occasional spikes in the market that make us all stand up, and some amzing cars that sell very cheap. Their value also changes much from counrty to country.

I was looking at an american mag this month and they showed a red Harrington LeManns that sold at auction in the USA for US$34,500 IIRC. Thats a hell of a lot of money for a 4 cylinder sunbeam, yet Ian did not have offers flooding forward for his A type Harrington, a rarer car (and in my eyes much better looking) that was some 10K cheaper.

Then look at some of the nice original cars that pass hands cheaply becuase the owners dont know there has been a shift in value, some people would take 5K for a car thats probably worth closer to 12.

In Australia the values of Alpine as a whole are higher as we simply dont have as many, and we dont have "parts" cars. Yet selling an alpine over $AU22K is not that easy. In the UK alpines seem to be in the 6.5K pounds range.

I think that you should look at how much it costs to restore a car properly, and a 20K alpine will seem cheap.

As for Tigers, well their values are high everywhere. The 2 we have for sale in AU are 55 and 75K AU respectively, and i think you will be lucky to get a nicely restored or good original Tiger in the USA for less than $US30K.

Ultimately its what someone wants to pay, you can ask anything, but overall i think alpines are VERY good vlaue, Tigers are good value for what they are,, but just not cheap.

A

alpine in calgary

first and foremost I must state the MGB is uglier than a bastard stepchild....they were kinda ok when still sporting the chrome bumpers but after they switched to the rubber bumpers it was the start of the end...hell the MG midget was a last desperate grasp from a company in it's death throws(to be honest the only reason for the rubber bumpers was automotive protectionism by the US...biggest export market).The alpine was over engineered compared to it's nearest rival...the MGA...it was heads and tails above it in quality as well as refinement which was why the mga was given a bigger engine in the end so as to take it to a different class in the end.;)

Has anyone ever seen an mgb/mga/spitfire/tr6/tr250/AH 3000 in a bond movie or a syndicated tv show?.....nope

The prices for alpines are due to go up "just round the next corner" from what I have read...the question is....how far down the road is the corner.I have seen mgb's with rust so bad in the floor pans I could put my finger through the metal like it was a cheese slice and still the owner want 5 grand for it...some people are just delusional.All told it comes down to how fine the car is and how much somebody wants it...I know of an alpine here in calgary that has been sitting through 20+ prairie winters and the guy wants $6000 for it.....I offered him $400 as it had a few things I could use....but the body was scrap..he turned it down and said he would have it restored.....must be nice to throw 20 grand at something that wont be worth it when all is said and done :eek:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Since we are talking subjective opinions here:

The Series 1 XKE takes the prize.

I like the earlier 4 cylinder Austin Healeys with the heart shaped grille, fold down windshield and two tone paint job the best. But, I never liked the truck like driving.

The MGs did have a more aggressive look than the Alpines. But the drive, well, the emperor has no clothes!
Oh, and on the rubber bumper, high MGB, I HATED it when it first came out. But, now 30 some odd years later, after seeing how badly other car companies did with the bumper laws, and seeing how integrated bumpers have become, I kind of like that bumper. They did a neat job of incorporating the bumper requirements into part of the design, and didn't just slap on fat black blobs. IMHO. Still like the chrome bumper ones better, just have grown to appreciate the rubber ones too.

The Lotus Elan (especially with Mrs. Peel) is so darn cool. But the fit and finish is pathetic.

Finally, the one car that I thought came the closest to the smooth yet sporty drive of the Alpine was the TR3A. When my Alpine was totalled, and I tried all the above cars as replacements, it was the TR3A that came the closest to pulling me away. But, in the end, it still wasn't enough. I did love the short throw shifter though.

As to the values lately, thanks for the info. $20k for an Alpine out there?! Well that sure is something. But, I do take it with a grain of salt.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
65Beam, to answer your question I list my Series I V6 conversion at $10,000 on my Hagerty Insurance policy.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
$$$ Prices

When I first purchased my ser ll , stock, worn out, at 4300 US I took it to state farm insurance, they told me to double my price for insurane purposes. So I setteled at 9500 US. After about 8 years and almost 8000 US invested,, I had a very highly qualified person check it out and said to insure it for @22,000US. Get it back for sale no way, but glad to have it and have up graded to more than just a show car to a real runner. What is a car worth? Who knows.
My 2.875p
Chuck and The Pumpkin