• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine V Mod... Dropped in an 285 HP S2K

ryanneptune

Donation Time
I spent a few months doing a mod to my Alpine... I wanted to maintain its original condition meaning pulling and preserving everything and putting in a S2K that has roughly 285HP and I was able to with almost zero mods... its absolutely sick and at anytime I can take my original engine and swap it back totally within a day or so and you'd never know... its an insane sleeper right now... kept the back end for now just not going to stomp on it as the engine has a 150mph factory speed. It snaps your head for sure

Attachments

• IMG_2420.jpg
    IMG_2420.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 163

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always thought about that engine in an Alpine. How did the trans do in as far as the shifter position?
Did you have to fab mounts for engine and trans or did the stockers work?
Need to see more pictures!
Steve

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Just made new mounts adapters, the shifter position was the only thing I had to modify but since I own a metal fab shop it was super easy and crystal clean less than 2" mod back

alpine_64

Donation Time
Very nice...but... Change the wheels.. The factory wires are not up to it...if you want wires get the 72 spokes off an mgc ( but they are 15") or mgb 14" competition spec... But watch caliper clearance.

Also...rear end... Not really up to it.. But at least add hardened woodruf keys so you dont spin an axle... Consider a ford 8inch swap.. Wont change anything on body.. Check v6 forums for info.

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Very nice...but... Change the wheels.. The factory wires are not up to it...if you want wires get the 72 spokes off an mgc ( but they are 15") or mgb 14" competition spec... But watch caliper clearance.

Also...rear end... Not really up to it.. But at least add hardened woodruf keys so you dont spin an axle... Consider a ford 8inch swap.. Wont change anything on body.. Check v6 forums for info.
Cool ya I am Not interested at all in modifying anything else, that’s why I said I was not going to stomp on it... spent a magnificent amount of time sorting the details to not alter anything on the original tin and wanted it to look as stock as possible... this car is a 100% original and I was able to remove and preserve everything including the engine driveline and such and found replacements parts to modify and wanted it to remain as my dad left it

My dad passed away last year and we had always talked about doing something special with it

it hauls ass but I won’t be racing or being stupid with it... besides the skinny tires will let loose before anything else I could’ve easily put in add contemplated the Ford 8 already but I’m not interested right now for sure

I can actually burn rubber shifting into third gear

It’s a special VTECJDM much more power than the VTEC you would get here in the states the tune Can get well over 300hp dynoed to the wheels if I want

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Very nice! Are you using the Honda engine management or Megasquirt?
Yeah not sure what you’re asking this is just a JDM motor purchased out of Japan

engine and transmission in one package and I shoehorned it in 5 or 6 times to get it to sit how I wanted it

Had to get a special tuner because the Japanese computer is different than the ones computers here in the US use

Ratical

Donation Time
Great work, love to see more pics ( other angles) what do you mean by special tuner? Did someone program using hondata or something similar? Or was it just something purchased? What radiator did you use? S2k? Custom?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Cool ya I am Not interested at all in modifying anything else, that’s why I said I was not going to stomp on it... spent a magnificent amount of time sorting the details to not alter anything on the original tin and wanted it to look as stock as possible... this car is a 100% original and I was able to remove and preserve everything including the engine driveline and such and found replacements parts to modify and wanted it to remain as my dad left it

it hauls ass but I won’t be racing or being stupid with it... besides the skinny tires will let loose before anything else I could’ve easily put in add contemplated the Ford 8 already but I’m not interested right now for sure

I can actually burn rubber shifting into third gear

Ryan appreciate all the above... But even a tuned 4cyl alpine can spin the axels without hardened woodruf keys.. They just snap. Its not an external mod its just a stronger key.

As for wires.. I broke spokes with my 1494 twin dcoe fed setup on 165 street tyres ... The stock wire wheels and keys were not built to take much torque or power.. If you are spinning wheels changing gears... You will start breaking things in the rear unless you toughen the stock stuff up.

Up to you...

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Ryan appreciate all the above... But even a tuned 4cyl alpine can spin the axels without hardened woodruf keys.. They just snap. Its not an external mod its just a stronger key.

As for wires.. I broke spokes with my 1494 twin dcoe fed setup on 165 street tyres ... The stock wire wheels and keys were not built to take much torque or power.. If you are spinning wheels changing gears... You will start breaking things in the rear unless you toughen the stock stuff up.

Up to you...
Fair enough be sick to pull the factory anyway and make the sucker fly

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Great work, love to see more pics ( other angles) what do you mean by special tuner? Did someone program using hondata or something similar? Or was it just something purchased? What radiator did you use? S2k? Custom?
The computer that came with the engine was re-configured differently than the ones that are made for the US and required some rewiring to get it to read the tuner and yes I just bought a special tuner so I could tune it myself I had one of the kids working for me get it there much smarter at the computers than I am

I found an aftermarket aluminum radiator with a fan and just tig welded a sensor for the heat sending unit into the line

I built complete custom radiator lines porting from the radiator and heater core to the engine all stainless steel polished

The radiator cools it just fine seeing as how this engine operates 9000 RPMs I was worried but definitely works great

I’ll send more pictures later repost them

The sick thing is is that the entire car runs off of my iPhone and I can see all the gauges and everything although I did build custom adapters for all of the original gauges and got them working perfectly

mototron

Donation Time
Did you modify your oil pan to clear the front crossmember ?
I have a s2000 2.2 l in my series 5 and had to modify the crossmember to get the
engine lower in the frame and used a miata rack for the steering

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Did you modify your oil pan to clear the front crossmember ?
I have a s2000 2.2 l in my series 5 and had to modify the crossmember to get the
engine lower in the frame and used a miata rack for the steering
just removed the 1/2" seem, no other mods to the engine nope kept the original steering worked great

Charles Johns

Donation Time

Up to you...
alpine_64, I remember reading about some Hot Rodder guys putting a 260 in an Alpine before Roots did it. Their most apparent problem was the spoke wheels, because they spun the centers out of them if they applied too much power. ALL Tigers came with steel wheels.

ryanneptune

Donation Time
alpine_64, I remember reading about some Hot Rodder guys putting a 260 in an Alpine before Roots did it. Their most apparent problem was the spoke wheels, because they spun the centers out of them if they applied too much power. ALL Tigers came with steel wheels.
I ordered custom wheels and a Tiger back end from my Buddy Bill Martin to finalize this conversion... Even at 38% throttle it snaps your head back... Custom throttle body gave me another 10hp its huge power and I have not opened up the V-Tech yet...

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The Brits and Euro guys are mostly left-right-left drivers with high revving small engines. We Americans love Big Torque and it shows when we swap a Torque motor into an older Euro/Brit car. My Ford 2.3 carb motor is being built for torque not max HP because torque is what moves the car off-the-line and up hills. With about 110 HP/140 lbs. ft. TQ using auto-engineering formulas and conservative numbers, it will be no where near your engine, but it will be better than the OEM British 1725 at 92.5 HP/103 lbs. ft. TQ.

ryanneptune

Donation Time
The Brits and Euro guys are mostly left-right-left drivers with high revving small engines. We Americans love Big Torque and it shows when we swap a Torque motor into an older Euro/Brit car. My Ford 2.3 carb motor is being built for torque not max HP because torque is what moves the car off-the-line and up hills. With about 110 HP/140 lbs. ft. TQ using auto-engineering formulas and conservative numbers, it will be no where near your engine, but it will be better than the OEM British 1725 at 92.5 HP/103 lbs. ft. TQ.
Bang for buck this one lights up off the line better than most for sure... I have trouble keeping them from chirping even at 2.5-3K

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Few more picts

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2536.JPG
    IMG_2536.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2628.JPG
    IMG_2628.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 121

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bang for buck this one lights up off the line better than most for sure... I have trouble keeping them from chirping even at 2.5-3K

That's pretty dang spiffy. Weight comparison between engines? How much creative wiring/ECU work was there to do?