• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine rearend ratios

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Was there any variation in rearend 3rd member ratios? The one I picked up in a parts buy is a 4:1 Hoping to find one that's around 3:1 similar to the Tiger ratio 2.88.

sd_pace

Donation Time
I have a set of good 2.88 gears, bearings and carrier I removed from a tiger rear axle, the whole thing is hard to find now, but you can cut down a dana 44, it will work

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the 2.88 rear gear setup, just not the Dana 44 to cut down. Will the Dana 44 bolt into an Alpine? Can't be too much difference is there?

sd_pace

Donation Time
the Tiger axle is a dana 44, i assume the brackets may need to be modified for the springs to center, you can take them from an alpine axle.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Tiger rear axle is a Salisbury 44 which is sort of a British first cousin to the Dana 44; some parts interchange and some do not.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
There are some late 70's Postal Jeep Dana 44 axles that are the right width and 3.08 ratio. Early 70's Postal and 72-75 4x4 CJ5 rears were 3.73.

sd_pace

Donation Time
DanR says: " a Dana 44 from a 1970 Jeep DJ-5. Yes DJ as in 2wd Postal Jeep. It’s 49″ flange to flange and a 3.73 with Trac-Lok."