• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Rear hub seals

beamertwo

Donation Time
During the full brake rebuild of my Series 2 Alpine, I also replaced the rear hub seals (the right hand side was leaking). After putting everything together the right hand hub is still leaking. I have read the postings regarding the fitting of a sleeve to the hub, but was wondering if a simpler solution would be fitting the bearing (with integral seal) from a Series V. Are they the same dimensions? Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi, just another thought. My new seals appeared to be leaking but it turned out I didn't have the hubs tightened on the shaft enough and oil was coming from the axle to hub connection. A 3' breaker bar did the trick.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
3' breaker bar?

I don't remember seeing that in the SM....Page number?

I can hear the whining come time to take the hub off, next time.

Last edited:

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
180 ft/lbs is the recommended torque. Is there a danger of breaking the axle with too much torque?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
180 ft/lbs is the recommended torque. Is there a danger of breaking the axle with too much torque?

I suspect that the threads (axle or nut) would fail long before the axle shaft would break. A stock S-V engine produces about 100 ft.-lbs. of torque. Multiply that by the low gear ratio of 3.12:1 and the final drive gear ratio of 4.22:1 and the axle shafts can potentially see over 1,300 ft.-lbs. of torque. There is probably a huge safety factor, so as a guess, the axle shafts might be good for several thousand ft.-lbs. of torque. In the real Series Alpine world, the Woodruff keys typically fail before the axle shafts (as proven by several dark-siders).

Last edited: