• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Parts Poll

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
If someone (me) were to decide to remanufacture one or two simple Alpine parts that are NLA or are not being remanufactured now what would they be? I'm not looking to have complicated parts like generators or servos made but relatively simple parts like dash hole badges, sun visors, hardtop clamps etc. I would appreciate your suggestions as to the most desirable parts that are hard to find, are too expensive on eBay or are simply NLA. Your input will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Rick Guest
Series 1
Series 5

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cigarette lighters seem to go for good money every time they hit eBay. Seems all you'd really need to do would be to create the proper knob and thick chrome washer - the rest of it is really just a standard lighter. These were also used on Jaguars and a few other British luxury cars, so you'd have an expanded marketplace for such an item.

Ignition lights are a similarly high-priced eBay item - by creating the brass/chrome stamping you could potentially then make the full set (ign/indicator/beams/overdrive).

Fog/driving light brackets are also NLA, I think, and would be rather simple to make.

An original factory boot-rack, but made up in stainless to make it permanent.

New stamped-alloy triangles to fit the door openings (to match the sill plates).

Rubber mat sets to match the original floor material.

Rubber door furflex caps. (The little cap that sits on top of the furflex at the top of the windshield and finishes it off - I have an original for use as a pattern).

Rubber heater drain boot (not just the duckbill - those are available - but the more complicated rubber item under the heater core).

Hard-top hold-down escutcheons (that fit into the boot hinges) for the later series hard-tops - there are very few left that are not pitted.

Passenger-side false-floor panel. (I have an original for a pattern).

Plastic handbrake base covers.

Original choke cable asssembly (you just need to make a proper original knob and affix it to an off-the-shelf exisiting cable).

Hood-cover support straps for the Series V cars (the strap that is anchored behind the rear passenger bulkhead and has a hook that fits in the back rail and a fastener that connects to and supports the convertible top boot when the hard-top is on or the convertible top is up). (I have an original one for a pattern, but as with all of them the rubber strap has lost its elasticity).

A proper Class I trailer tow-bar that fits the Sunbeam range might be something of value, though clearly not an original fitment.

Timing covers that are retro-fitted for a neoprene lip seal - again, not original, but could sell well and fit the entire range.

The optional rear seat cushions are NLA - even Martha Wheat does not make them, I don't think - so they might be a good seller. (I have an original set in excellent condition if you need a pattern.)

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fog/driving light brackets are also NLA, I think, and would be rather simple to make.

- not that easy to make as per originals (and there are a couple of types)

Rubber mat sets to match the original floor material.

-not sure how many people will but these.. most today would go for carpet

Rubber door furflex caps. (The little cap that sits on top of the furflex at the top of the windshield and finishes it off - I have an original for use as a pattern).

-CAT sell these but they do not have the metal insert of the originals i think

Original choke cable asssembly (you just need to make a proper original knob and affix it to an off-the-shelf exisiting cable).

Hood-cover support straps for the Series V cars (the strap that is anchored behind the rear passenger bulkhead and has a hook that fits in the back rail and a fastener that connects to and supports the convertible top boot when the hard-top is on or the convertible top is up). (I have an original one for a pattern, but as with all of them the rubber strap has lost its elasticity).

-Rick at SS sells these

Kevin, just thought id point out some of this stuff is available.. but on about 3 of these parts you mention i didnt realise till after i bought less than perfect S/H parts... its always worth a call to the Sunbeam suppliers.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I thought the UK Alpine club was reproducing the driving light brackets complete with the bar behind the bumper bar. They may not be identical, but look great. Was the hand brake cover an idea or something that the Alpine had? My Tiger has a leather cover which look nicer in my opinion.

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

the lighters that moss sells are identical to the nos i have except they give you the lighted ring that goes on them . the triangles are also available,along with luggage racks. there are also light brackets out there that are close to the originals . i got four sets of the furflex caps from rick last week .they do not have the metal clips. and last but not least, who wants rubber mats ? i threw mine away sometime back in 1968 .

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's an item and I hope to learn it is available somewhere :)

--the plastic 'cam' or replaceable part that holds the turning signal arm in place.

Allan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so everybody so far is shooting me down for my suggestions.

However, I've yet to see a single suggestion by anyone to reply to Rich's original request.

Pardon me for trying.

On edit:

OK, one - just posted.

alpine_64

Donation Time

--the plastic 'cam' or replaceable part that holds the turning signal arm in place.

Allan

think you'll find those in the SS and other suppliers under turn signal repair kits.

alpine_64

Donation Time

However, I've yet to see a single suggestion by anyone to reply to Rich's original request.

Pardon me for trying.

On edit:

OK, one - just posted.

Kevin,

Didnt mean for my posts to come across as shooting you down.. more just telling you those parts are available already.. some from multiple suppliers. As i have said, a few of the parts you mentioned i did not realise were available new until AFTER i had bought originals in average condition for good $ on e-pay.

As for suggestions..

- Correct 1725 badges.. as in properly vaccum chromed.
- SI/II 3 eared gas cap 9this can be sold to lotus owners aswell as they are what they use for oil filler caps on the TC engines)
- Door rubber buffers with correct mental inserts.. we assume SS or Classic Sunbeam will do these again soon though.. esp given recent ebay prices.
- Headlight rims.. non-peaked especially
- Correct seat foams for SI/II cars.
- SII "hockey sticks" for the Doors.. the company doing metal ones stopped making those.

64beam

Donation Time

Pardon me for trying.

On edit:

OK, one - just posted.

Hi Kevin,

No one is shooting you down. I remember a while ago a suggestion was put forward to make up a directory for Sunbeam parts and alternative parts suppliers. Maybe we need to look at that again. Obviously we know the main suppliers, but some of the 'harder to find' parts suppliers need to be acknowledged.

Regards, Robin.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Hi,

I thought the UK Alpine club was reproducing the driving light brackets complete with the bar behind the bumper bar. They may not be identical, but look great. Was the hand brake cover an idea or something that the Alpine had? My Tiger has a leather cover which look nicer in my opinion.

Regards, Robin.

Robin,
The Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club www.saoc.demon.co.uk does reproduce the light brackets and the accessory bar. Also they reproduce a beautiful luggage rack that is made out of highly polished stainless steel. HOWEVER, due to their insurance company rules, they can sell "spares" only to club members in the UK. I bought a luggage rack from them before this policy went into effect. I bought the light brackets and accessory bar when I went to their Annual a couple of years ago.
Lee

howard

Donation Time

Allan

SS does indeed sell these. So does VB... but their price is 4 or 5 TIMES the price Rick is asking. That's one of those parts where it's worth comparing prices before buying.

howard

Donation Time
Sorry- I got distracted from the original intent of your post. I'd be interested in a MATCHING wooden steering wheel and dash. I see the dashes all the time on E-Bay... then I see the steering wheels... but never a matching set made from the same type of wood, with similar stain color, etc. (I'm not in the market for such with the economic crisis destroying my finances at the present, but I think it'd be cool to have the option.)

dmich2

Donation Time
Seems to me I recall hearing from Eric or George C., about someone that makes wooden dashes and sells them at car shows. If you could be one made for your application by him and not stained, that would be the way to go.

In my case, my brother made my wooden dash out of oak veneered plywood and I found Mini-wax to match my Moto-lita steering wheel and radio enclosed I constructed. It all matches well. As we know, all woods can take on a different appearance when stained, but with some trial and error, you should be able to get a close match. If I find out about the guy that does the dashboards I'll pass it on.

Dennis

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Speaking of steering wheels, how about a DIY hub replacement? You almost never see a wheel that doesn't have a cracked hub (or a repaired cracked hub) and many otherwise perfectly good wheels are unusable due to hub deterioration. It shouldn't be that difficult to have something cast and virtually everyone Alpine and Tiger owner would probably want one.

gordonra

Donation Time
I'd like to see the hand brake cover reproduced, and SV vinyl steering wheel center button with the chrome ring.

BTW,

I'd still like to see a photo gallery with close up details representing various areas from factory original cars, such as:

1. Weatherstrip and trim around the doors, door opening, and windshield
2. Under-dash "kick panels"
3. Other cockpit details
4. Engine bay details

I'd even compile the photos to a nice PDF booklet for distribution if I had them.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you all for the many great ideas you have put forward. And if you have more, I would be glad to see them. I appreciate knowing that some hard to find parts are still available and I think the idea of a "Resource Book" with contact information for all suppliers who handle specific parts is a great idea. The goal is to assemble all the "wants" posted and put a short list up on the message board so that all can vote on the parts that they would like to see reproduced the most. Keep the great ideas coming!

Rick Guest
1960 Series 1
1967 Series 5

mackzknife

Donation Time
I would definitely like to see sun visors made up, the last set I saw on eBay went for a crazy amount of money.

The idea of a listing of where parts can be found is a great one.

65beam

Donation Time
parts poll

sun visors are available new from sunbeam specialties.they're actually a lot better than the originals. the rods are stainless and don't freeze up .

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The sun visors are beautiful and, IMO, better than the originals. When (Tiger) Tom Ehrhart was in the 'Beam business he collaborated with a few other suppliers (CS & SS I believe) and they came up with a very nice frame and almost perfect material. Last set I bought were $99 for a pair thru CS and worth every penny.

Mark