• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

alpine IV A

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Grouse, just so you know what to look for: the forward floor - the more vertical part- on the passenger side has a "false floor". It is a large sheet (approx 1 ft X 1 ft) of stamped metal attached to the actual body and floor with a couple sheet metal screws. I assume its purpose it to give the passenger a "foot rest" more easily reached by the average person. The floor mats totally cover it. If you reach up to the top of the floor mat or carpet, you should be able to feel the top edge of this plate and clearly see (or feel) that the actual firewall is a couple inches away.

John, I just read Ian's wheel article. This is the first time I have noticed the "additional" articles in the archive, accessed by clicking on Next>>. Nice discovery. Thanks for leading me to it!

Tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Grouse: the only reason I brought up the floors is because owners sometimes replace them with flat pieces of sheet metal. The floor is part of the structure of the car and people who know more than I do say a car with flat floors is not safe. The proper floors have multiple stampings in them for rigidity. Pull up the carpet and take a look at them when you are looking at the car. Most cars have rusty floors at some point and they are a royal pain to replace, so it would be a real plus to have one that was original or repaired well.

As for the SIV/SV question, you will probably find lots of disagreement on that (as with most things on this forum ;)). Many people prefer the SV because more of them were produced and thus parts are a little more available. The engine is also generally considered better, although again, you will find disagreement on that. There are many who prefer the earlier finned cars, but the IV (especially the IVa) and the V share so many components that I am not sure it will make a lot of difference. It might come down to the engines, since it doesn't appear that the IV has the original engine.

On the engines, note that "matching numbers" Alpines don't have the cachet that other cars seem to. It is certainly better, all other things being equal, but replacement engines are pretty common and this car has been pretty heavily customized anyway. The bigger issue is to check the first digits to see what Series the engine came from. So, a SII or S3 engine in a SIV would not be as desirable as a SIV or SV engine in the same car. At least that is my humble opinion.

Good luck and please let us know what happens next week.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW: Wasn't there an Alpine Buyer's Guide posted somewhere on the Net? It listed common rust areas and other things to look for when buying one. I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't find it now.

65beam

Donation Time
series 4

john,
i just pulled out my series 4 dealer literature. for the early cars that your car falls into that i believe you call a series 4 with the non syncro trans the brochure reads as follows. this is literature # 7746/ex/usa. it says the transmission is a four speed with syncro on high,third and second gears and an 8" clutch. it says under wheels: five pressed steel wheels with four fitted with polished nave plates. each wheel has a rim finisher ( trim rings ). now we go to #7773/ex/usa. it shows a 7 1/2 " clutch with a transmission with syncro on all forward speeds. i guess this makes it a series 4A. it says under wheels that it has five wheels with four fitted with polished nave plates and wheel trims. my collection of dealer literature and other sunbeam printed pieces is not that large probably compared to others. it numbers at about 440 odd pieces not counting books and magazines if i remember correctly. anyone else have questions for any other cars that the dealer brochures may have answers? one thing i have noticed between the syncro and non syncro trans is the overal gear ratios. reverse on the syncro is a 13.58, the non syncro is 16.483. first gear is different also.the other gears are the same ratios. john, do you have the original K.L.G. FE75 spark plugs that are listed? now that would be interesting to see. i don't remember them. anybody have them laying around?

John Boggis

Donation Time
john,
do you have the original K.L.G. FE75 spark plugs that are listed? now that would be interesting to see. i don't remember them. anybody have them laying around?

Bob I still use the KLG FE75 spark plugs... not the originals that came with the car but a new set fitted when my Alpine was last serviced.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
alpine IV

Grouse
I basically agree with the advice given by Jim Stone above. Everything being equal (which it never is) the advantages of the Series V would be:
1. 1725cc engine: slightly larger, slightly more powerful, and slightly easier to get parts for.
2. Fresh air vents in footwells. Nice feature in hotter climates.
3. Full syncromesh transmission (the Series IV may have this also. You will want to verify this- the syncro box is MUCH nicer in my opinion).

Differences you will notice:
1. Storage of folded top (metal covers vs canvas).
2. Paint color (most likely).

Considerations:
1. Do you like/want wire wheels? Maintaining them is becoming a lost art - at least in the USA.
2. Does either car have overdrive? If so does it work properly? Will you be driving at highway speeds often? If so OD is a desireable feature.

Recommendation:
These are 40+ year old cars. Condition is MUCH more important than specification. Look them both over closely. Drive them both. Follow your heart!

Good luck!

Famous Grouse

Donation Time
Hello,
today i went to the place where the Sunbeam was to check it once again, but now with more information.
The car is in quite good shape. It needs some work done but mostly in an esthetical way.
Saw it from below and it looks used and never touched. It shows what i would call use, but i could see that was a car that was taken care of. Doors open and close corectly, there are minor places with rust mostly near the foot place of the drivers side. I also gave some "blows" under the structure to see if i saw rust or places where the metal wasn´t so strong (sounded healthy...).
The chassis is a b94... and the number of the motor matches the number of the chassi... the owner told me that the 2nd "radiator" was always there and he had to make some work in it because it had limestone in it. The carb that is installed is a weber and not the solex.
The Water pump,the dinamo and regulator are new.
Rubbers need to be changed on the doors and windscreen, but that is something that can be done over time.
The clock and the amperimeter are not the correct ones but they are working and can be changed as soon as i have some $$ to do it.
The floor of the drivers place had the stapings and the passenger side had the metal plate that is a guess the foot rest.
Bottom line... i closed the deal and hopefully the car won´t disapoint me with any major need of expensive maintenance.

thanks for all the help! As soon as i have in my place i´ll post some pictures.

regards
FG

64beam

Donation Time
Hi FG,

Congratulations on your buy. It sounds like you have quite a nice car and matching numbers as well (that is not that common). Enjoy your new toy :) .

Regards, Robin.

John Boggis

Donation Time
well guess what! that radio came in the series 4. even says SUNBEAM on the radio face. dealer option . in fact there is an nos radio kit for sale on e bay now that is just like mine.

Bob, that radio kit you mentioned on ebay has now been listed for a third time !
It started at $995 then was re-listed at $695 now it's been re-listed for $495 !
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360233838207

Bendix only ever made three Sunbeam radios... the first model 7SUX came into production in 1967. The model on ebay is model 8BSU which was made 1968 or model 9BSU which was made in 1969.

If anyone is thinking of bidding for this radio remember It's only period correct for series V Alpines also you will need the very hard to find small speaker box that fits underneath... that is if you want the complete original look.

65beam

Donation Time
alpine 4

john,
if the price continues to come down,i may buy this radio even though i have several. the speaker that you are referring to would only take a trip to my attic. i have them. i like having the radio that is in the series 5. it's nice having the speaker built into the radio.