• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine front springs

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok, I know this has been covered before but it must have been in the previous previous Forum. I tried a search and on the old forum and found nothing regarding front springs.

If I remember correctly somebody had looked into front springs and the Series 3 was lowest of all? Now, if this is the case, will the Series 3 Spring fit on an Series V?

What effect is the effect of installing Series 3 springs on an Series V "A" arms? Is it still lower than stock Series V springs?

Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
steve,

IIRC the S3 springs were the lowest and slightly stiffest springs. You can install them in a SV without modificatino and they will lower the front. Seems most people use the S3 springs from VB. Is this for your race car? If so, i am thinking they will not be quite up the task you want

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, it is for the race car. I think they may be OK.
According to Sesslar, they ran the competition springs but found when they put the LSD in the car they switched back to the stock springs. He prefered the handling with with the stock springs.

However, it may take just running them and seeing how they do.

Currently, the Sports Car Forum Alpine runs stock front springs, 7/8" swaybar, and Konis.

Steve

C

casey

I run the S3 springs from VB on the front of my SV. I added the Addco 7/8 bar and KYB gas-a-just shocks all around. I autocross the car, and the improvement is huge over the original, saggy springs and tiny bar. Plus it is still bearable to drive on the street.

I don't know how much lower the car sits, though, as the original springs had sagged so much that I think the new springs raised my car.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yes, the 3 is the lowest. Tiger Tom also used S3 springs in his SV that he raced. Here is the info that I've collected over the years. Please feel free to add to it if you have more:

Outside Diameter
SI, II--------3.87
S3----------4.40 [4.375 – as measured]
SIV, V------4.47 [4.4375 – as measured]
Tiger-------4.53

Static laden length
SI, II--------7.375
Last SII----7.85 (last 2/3s SII)
S3----------7.375
SIV, V------?
Tiger-------7.90

Static laden loading (off car)
SI,II-------950 lbs (430.91kgs)
Tiger-----1080 lbs (492 kgs)

Free length
SI, II--------11.175
Last SII----11.65 (last 2/3s SII)
S3----------11.175 [11.1875 – as measured]
SIV, V------12.62 [12.375 – as measured]
Tiger-------12.04

Number of coil turns
S3 --------9
SIV, V-----9 + 1â€

Upward Movement
SI-3---------2.12
SIV,V,T----2.75

Downward movement
SI-3---------3.43
SIV,V,T----3.5

Bottom A Arm mount
to top of crossmember
(but not top where spring
fits)
SI-3---------5.48
SIV,V,T----5.4

length top link, all cars ------- 7.675
length bottom link, all cars -------12.85

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
I run the S3 springs from VB on the front of my SV. I added the Addco 7/8 bar and KYB gas-a-just shocks all around. I autocross the car, and the improvement is huge over the original, saggy springs and tiny bar. Plus it is still bearable to drive on the street.

I don't know how much lower the car sits, though, as the original springs had sagged so much that I think the new springs raised my car.

Is the Addco bar a rear anti sway or front? Is it an easy assembly to replace stock? Brent

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, it is the front that would be the 7/8 bar. They are easy to replace since it is held on by 4 brackets to the A-arms.

However, think about how it will change your handling. Brabham thought the 7/8 bar was too much. I am thinking it might be too... easy enough to check.

Steve