• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Front Crossmember Drawing

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a drawing for the S-3/IV/V front crossmember?

The WSM 124 / 145 manuals have pretty good drawings for the various chassis dimensions, but nothing for the front crossmember.

I am particularly interested in the spacing of the four bolts that attach the front crossmember to the "frame" rails.

Thanks.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I don't have anything except the drawing up in "Tech Data" above.

Should I assume you could measure up your front suspension details yourself? Not trying to be snarky at all. Maybe your car is still assembled, and thus not accessible for the cipherin', for example.

I have a couple of free-range front ends, not attached to motor vehicles, that I would be happy to measure up... but that may not be the solution you're seeking.

Just let me know either way...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, I sent Barry a PM that I have a SIV cross member that has been chem-dipped, very clean that can be measured in detail if He wants... I'll even provide lots of PIC's too!

He has been by my place once before and I invited him to come again and do his thing,

DanR

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken,

I would measure the bolt spacing on my front suspension if I could, but as you surmised, there is no way to make accurate measurements with the crossmember attached to the unibody.

What I need to know / confirm is:

1. The lateral distance between the front bolt holes. Depending on how you interpret the WSM 145 drawings, the value may be 24.32" (24-5/16").
  2. The lateral distance between the rear bolt holes. Depending on how you interpret the WSM 145 drawings, the value may be 22.56" (22-9/16").
  3. The front hole-to-back hole distance on each side; the drawing in the body section of WSM 145 appears to indicate 6.00" longitudinally which should be about 6.064" (6-1/16") on the slight diagonal.

I will be very grateful if you or Dan can measure one of your "free range" crossmembers and confirm or correct the values I listed above.

65beam

Donation Time
crossmember

I have a freshly rebuilt complete series 5 front cross member on a cart in the shop. Doug Jennings @ Tiger Auto rebuilt it so we know it's built to the correct specs. He also sets the distance between the shock towers. I'll do some measuring of it Tuesday A.M.

65beam

Donation Time
cross member

Ken,

I would measure the bolt spacing on my front suspension if I could, but as you surmised, there is no way to make accurate measurements with the crossmember attached to the unibody.

What I need to know / confirm is:

1. The lateral distance between the front bolt holes. Depending on how you interpret the WSM 145 drawings, the value may be 24.32" (24-5/16").
  2. The lateral distance between the rear bolt holes. Depending on how you interpret the WSM 145 drawings, the value may be 22.56" (22-9/16").
  3. The front hole-to-back hole distance on each side; the drawing in the body section of WSM 145 appears to indicate 6.00" longitudinally which should be about 6.064" (6-1/16") on the slight diagonal.

I will be very grateful if you or Dan can measure one of your "free range" crossmembers and confirm or correct the values I listed above.

My cross member has the aluminum wedges installed so it's difficult to see the actual hole in the cross member but the distance between the front holes is 23 3/4 ", center to center looks to be 24 1/2 ".the back holes look to be 22 1/2 inch center to center with a distance between the holes being at 21 7/8 " and the front to rear distance for the holes is 6 ". I know Doug has said that he hasn't found two that were the same. When he restores a body he uses several points on the body to measure in order to be sure the frame rails are within specs so the cross member fits right.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hope this helps....

Barry, I scribbled some measurements for you to compare and sent in an E-mail. I can't upload the document with the measurements, so here is what I found:

1. Back Right Hand Side to Front Left Hand Side is 24 1/4" center to center of the Holes.

2. Back Left Hand Side to Front Right Hand Side is 24 1/4" center to center of the holes.

3. Back Holes center to center is 22 5/8".

4. Front Holes center to center is 24 5/16".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These measurements were taken from a Chemically dipped SIV Crossmember that is perfectly clean metal free of any encumbering items.

If you have need of additional info just ask!

Provided with pleasure:D

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks to DanR, Ken and 65beam for helping to verify the dimensions that I took from the drawing in the WSM 145 "body" section and noted in post # 5.