• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine engine in a Minx

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Some years ago, I sold my Minx drophead to a local guy. Not being the smartest person, he ignored the gauges when they quit working and put a rod through the block. Then he complained about not having the cash for a rebuilt engine, yada, yada...

I suggested swapping in an Alpine engine that I would (and did) sell him cheap. I didn't offer to do it and he found someone to do it. That guy did a fairly good job, but they never tried to really drive the car. I saw it a day ago and the owner thought the mechanic who'd done it screwed up the column shift linkage but it seems the linkage hits the intake manifold and won't go farther. Looking at it (it's an early series engine) the linkage needs about 1/2 inch or less clearance from the intake. Seems to me that if the hot water manifold pre-heat was bypassed (hose from water pump, through manifold to cylinder head sent from pump to head) he could grind the manifold to give him clearance. If he ruptured the manifold it would only be the water passage that was bypassed.

Since this car is only driven in warm weather I doubt the pre-heat would matter. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
The preheat passage under the intake plenum is often bypassed and the rootes comp manual suggests it for racing.. Less drag on water pump impellor in the cooling system i guess so less loss of power.

You can also completely cut the passage off without ill effect.