1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Alpine Chassis Dyno pulls

Discussion in 'Rootes Racing' started by spmdr, Jul 23, 2021.

1. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

Seeing I can't find any Chassis Dyno Threads, I'll start one.

(Edit- another thread here http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/dyno-testing.13337/)

And seeing the one I have handy is from a Vintage Race Alpine, I'll put it in the Racing section.

BUT, I'd like to see Stock Alpine Pulls as well.

Note the TQ and HP scales are not the same.

It's from 2004 and not the biggest ball of fire pull, but a starting point.

DW

IMG_20200203_195621752.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

On the web I found this dyno test of an Alpine and two Tigers.

Note the Black smoke coming from the Alpine at the end of the run.

Bottom line:

Alpine 50 WHP
    Stock Tiger 74 WHP ( a LOW number for a Tiger!)
    347 Tiger 350 WHP

DW

3. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Dan.. Jim E (old forum member) used to run a fairly warm 1725... 2x40dcoe holbay carbs on a warnerford gooseneck, delta grind ( one above KB... Something 9?) Flat tops and a vizard heax woth 3 angle and stock valves. Chrv rods and flat tops.

Iirc it put down 86 RWHP...and that was a fast fine.

4. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Dan,

Here is the old dyno sheet from my 1592 race motor on twin SU carbs... Flat tops, ported. Big valves cam headers roller rockers .060 overbore manley chev rods.

Figure was to the wheels not adjusted etc. 104.4hp

[​IMG]

5. Warren

Warren Bronze Level Sponsor

That YouTube of the Alpine and Tiger is laughable. The barn find Tiger was a let's do nothing to this motor and see if we can blow it up. But in all fairness I've seen guys show up at a club Dyno day with old gas in the car and say doh...

6. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

As I recall, Jim Ellis also reported the indignity of producing about 50 hp in a stock 1725. While he would have been happy with less than 100, less than 75 was more than he could stand. His only comfort, the dyno operator said that 50 hp was very common among engines of that size and era.

Bill

7. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

Thanks Michael.

Question- what rear end gear was your Alpine run with?

You make a Great case for 1600s! I'm looking REAL close at my next Alpine VR

engine being a 1600.

BTW, "...fast fine" ??

The dyno pulls above (post#1) were done with 3rd and 4th gears, and the curious dip in the TQ curve is a bit of a mystery.

I'm not sure of the rear end gear, because 3rd gear was used, I don't think it was the 4.55

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge to come from the Sunbeam Tiger VR world where power

is more of a liability and FAR from the biggest problem.

Then enter the Alpine VR world and be at the bottom of the power scale,

and have THAT be the Biggest problem.

I have a lot of Alpine info to catch up on, I was Busy WASTING my time playing with Tigers....?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021