• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine 260 vs Sunbeam Tiger

Franzwa

Donation Time
What is the value of an Alpine 260 vs a Sunbeam Tiger? I believe the 260 is a tiger made in Europe but still badged as an alpine? Just wondering on the American market if there is a significant value difference and if it may be worth less.
-Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
What is the value of an Alpine 260 vs a Sunbeam Tiger? I believe the 260 is a tiger made in Europe but still badged as an alpine? Just wondering on the American market if there is a significant value difference.
-Thanks

Alpine 260's and alpine 289's were Tigers mae in the UK and done for the export market in Europe where the Tiger name was already trademarked by another manufacturer. The only Tigers not made in the Uk were the South African CKD cars.

There seems to be no value difference between a Alpine 260 and Tiger and there really isnt a need to be as it was just a script change and an additional compliance plate on the scuttle if a French or German export (and VIN stamped in the scuttle ledge)

RandeBell

Donation Time
As Michael noted, the Tigers ordered by European customers were all manufactured by Rootes and Jensen in the UK, but carried Alpine emblems.
Cars brought into France had a separate underhood tag mounted next to the regular Rootes VIN tag and issued by the 'Societe des Automobiles Simca'.
Generally, the Tiger Mark I was marketed in Europe as the Sunbeam Alpine 260, the Tiger Mark IA was marketed as the Alpine V8, and the Tiger Mark II was marketed as the Alpine V8 MK II, according to brochures for each model.
The French distributor did use the term 'Alpine 289' for the Mark II on their unique underhood tags , as they referred to earlier Tigers on their tags as 'Alpine 260'.