• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alloy Oil Pan /Sump

mototron

Donation Time
Hello all
Does any one have a pic of the baffle that fits inside a Alloy oil pan I have an Alloy pan without a Baffle and would like to see what the original looked like before I fabricate a new one , Racing Season is coming up Fast
thanks
Rocco

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have photos that were forwarded to me by a fellow clubmember and will send them to you later on. Eric

Dodgealpine

Donation Time

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is a pic I had saved from my rebuild. There is apiece that goes at 90 deg into the bottom of the sump. Its also relieved in front of the cutout to miss the crank lobes.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Since I am the "fellow clubmember" Eric was talking about, here are the photos I sent him:

img00263201201221249.jpg

img00267201201221251.jpg

img00271201201221309.jpg

Rocco: these seem to get lost quite often. Perhaps you should make several!

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are turning any serious RPM's, Kas Kastner's articles about oil scrappers (Windage trays?) in sumps are a must. While Kas is a total Triumph guy, what he says is always worth listening to. Essentially, oil will wrap itself around the crank as rpm's increase ( I do not know when this becomes an issue but suspect somewhere north of 5-6000). How they work is that a piece of sheet metal is cut to match the crank throws and attached to the sump pan. As oil starts to wrap itself around the crank, it hits these "scrappers" and is peeled off. (the oil wrap also kills rps's)

My Spitfire would start to lose oil preassure around 7-8,000 rpms and everything I did failed. Now I know why (pre internet, ask you buddy era...)

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Windage tray.

I have the same oil pan, but am missing the tray also....Will that cause me problems driving on the street?....I rarely wind her up tight, but would like to autocross if I ever get to a meet....If your making more than one windage tray, I would be interested in one....Mike in Florida

mototron

Donation Time
definitely need one no matter what kind of driving you do .if you stop short all the oil goes into the crank ,even the gentlest turn will cause oil to slosh all over the crank and could even starve the oil pump
I will not be making mine until next season , no time now ,Business is booming with this mild winter
My race motor is still on the stand ,hope to get to VIR in April
Thanks for all your help
Rocco

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike,
I am not making any but the method is really pretty simple. You use a piece of cardboard and cut the outline of the crank so that it is close but doesn't touch anywhere and then cut some sheet metal to match. After that, figure out how to attach to the sump. Again. I read this from Kas Kastner (ANY of your Triumph racing friends own his books) and not sure when you need them and when not. If I was to build another motor, I would probably do this.