• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

All synchro box into S2

lemansvk

Donation Time
One of my local friends has an SII (non-synchro OD) and is considering putting an SV all-synchro OD box into it. What issues will he face, and how can he overcome them. I have a feeling that there are clutch issues, but the rest is straightforward?

Thanks in advance, Vic

Wombat

Donation Time
Vic,

As far as I know (and that may not be very far) the differences are:

Clutch: The Series II and other non-synchro cars used a clutch pressure plate with coil springs. The synchro IV and V used a diaphragm spring pressure plate. Expect differences in the release lever, the pivot and the thrust bearing. Possibly also the master cylinder and push rod.

Driveshaft: May need to have the length adjusted. Measure the overall length of both gearboxes. If they are the same all should be OK.

One other thing: If it was a really late Series V, the box may have 25 spline input and output shafts so you will need a different clutch plate and driveshaft front yoke.

Other than that remember: Reverse is now to the RIGHT and back!!

Wombat

Donation Time
Vic,

As far as I know (and that may not be very far) the differences are:

Clutch: The Series II and other non-synchro cars used a clurch pressure plate with coil springs. The synchro IV and V used a diaphragm spring pressure plate. Expect differences in the release lever, the pivot and the thrust bearing. Possibly also the master cylinder and push rod.

Driveshaft: Will need to be shortened. An Autobooks Series V manual I have lists the length between U-Joint centres as 32.35" for non overdrive and 29.5" for overdrive. My Series IV (all synchro non overdrive) has a driveshaft that is 31 13/16" between centres. Measure carefully!

Other than that remember: Reverse is now to the RIGHT and back!!

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Hi Vic, I installed a SV tranmission with overdrive onto my S2 with no problem. The SV tranmission bolted right up to the clutch, using S2 bellhousing, clutch, release bearing, slave, etc.

I did need the the SV driveshaft for the yoke to fit the 25 spline output shaft of the tranmsiion/overdrive. I also had to shorten the driveshaft to fit the OD, which shouldn't be a concern for your friend because they already have an OD. You would still need the 25 spline SV yoke for your existing S2 driveshaft.