1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

All synchro box into S2

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by lemansvk, Jan 22, 2007.

1. lemansvk

lemansvk Donation Time

One of my local friends has an SII (non-synchro OD) and is considering putting an SV all-synchro OD box into it. What issues will he face, and how can he overcome them. I have a feeling that there are clutch issues, but the rest is straightforward?

Thanks in advance, Vic

2. Wombat

Wombat Donation Time

Vic,

As far as I know (and that may not be very far) the differences are:

Clutch: The Series II and other non-synchro cars used a clutch pressure plate with coil springs. The synchro IV and V used a diaphragm spring pressure plate. Expect differences in the release lever, the pivot and the thrust bearing. Possibly also the master cylinder and push rod.

Driveshaft: May need to have the length adjusted. Measure the overall length of both gearboxes. If they are the same all should be OK.

One other thing: If it was a really late Series V, the box may have 25 spline input and output shafts so you will need a different clutch plate and driveshaft front yoke.

Other than that remember: Reverse is now to the RIGHT and back!!

3. Wombat

Wombat Donation Time

Vic,

As far as I know (and that may not be very far) the differences are:

Clutch: The Series II and other non-synchro cars used a clurch pressure plate with coil springs. The synchro IV and V used a diaphragm spring pressure plate. Expect differences in the release lever, the pivot and the thrust bearing. Possibly also the master cylinder and push rod.

Driveshaft: Will need to be shortened. An Autobooks Series V manual I have lists the length between U-Joint centres as 32.35" for non overdrive and 29.5" for overdrive. My Series IV (all synchro non overdrive) has a driveshaft that is 31 13/16" between centres. Measure carefully!

Other than that remember: Reverse is now to the RIGHT and back!!

4. Drnobeam

Drnobeam Donation Time

Hi Vic, I installed a SV tranmission with overdrive onto my S2 with no problem. The SV tranmission bolted right up to the clutch, using S2 bellhousing, clutch, release bearing, slave, etc.

I did need the the SV driveshaft for the yoke to fit the 25 spline output shaft of the tranmsiion/overdrive. I also had to shorten the driveshaft to fit the OD, which shouldn't be a concern for your friend because they already have an OD. You would still need the 25 spline SV yoke for your existing S2 driveshaft.