• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

all original series 5

65beam

Donation Time
for what it's worth, i just heard that there is supposed to be an all original, 16000 mile series 5 at the te/ ae bash this weekend. it has been stored in climate controlled conditions all it's life. it was owned by a long time club member and it is now in the hands of a family member. i was told that it still looks factory fresh and could be called a time capsule.

alpine_64

Donation Time
for what it's worth, i just heard that there is supposed to be an all original, 16000 mile series 5 at the te/ ae bash this weekend. it has been stored in climate controlled conditions all it's life. it was owned by a long time club member and it is now in the hands of a family member. i was told that it still looks factory fresh and could be called a time capsule.

i guess the real question is.. do you V6 it or Alger it? :eek:

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
i guess the real question is.. do you V6 it or Alger it? :eek:

Or part it out................................NOT
If true, that car should be photographed inside and out for the record. Any other info about it ?

Tom j

65beam

Donation Time
original car

duke,
i did the opposite. we converted a mk2 tiger back to an alpine. it took first in stock alpine at suni for the third time. we used the wheel well trims on our 69gt.

alpine_64

Donation Time
duke,
i did the opposite. we converted a mk2 tiger back to an alpine. it took first in stock alpine at suni for the third time. we used the wheel well trims on our 69gt.

Im sorry bob but i am going to complain.. car is not stock.. same as if an alger wins the tiger class.. its a very nice car but you have to accept it will never be as good as a factory SV.. just enjoy your Tipine for what it is and dont try and pass it off as a real alpine.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Please someone with access to this motorcar record it. Aren't these the type of vehicles we need to document the marque ?

Tom j

65beam

Donation Time
series 5

jose,
it's a lot of fun to pull off a joke such as converting a tiger to an alpine and having other folks join in on the fun. but trust me on one thing. it would be done to a high standard if i ever did. i had a talk with tiger tom last night and he said he considered a V6 in the roto rooter. his reason for using the rotary was that at the time he could get a lot more horse power and also cure some of the fastbacks problems with the steering,handling and weight distribution. he agrees that the V6 will fit with no problems but the steering problem will still be there.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I’m not sure if this is the problem I have encountered before.. but does sarcasm just get misread in a message board or is it an american thing?

For thos who seem to have mis-read my post regarding bobs "Tipine".. it was a refrence to the issues Tiger owners throw up at Algers no matter what the quality of conversion.. hence my comment that no matter how good a job you did of converting the car back to an alpine.. it wont be as good as a factory alpine.. and not to try and pass it off as a true alpine...

I really dont see how you can miss the tounge in cheek rhetoric... perhaps some people really dont get the joke .. but if you have been around alpines and tigers long enough I thought it would be quite obvious.. :rolleyes:

John Boggis

Donation Time

Bob,are you going to the TE/AE event over the weekend ? If you are can you take a full set of pics of this series V (engine bay, interior. etc)

As i have said on a previous post I have never see a really good un-restored factory Alpine in the United States...This sounds like it could be the first.

65beam

Donation Time
series 5

john,
i will not be at the bash this week.we were at the invasion last week and this sunday is mother's day. this car took the lord rootes trophy several times in the early days of te/ae when it was given for the most original car. i would like to see it. i'm sure it will show up again.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is anyone from the forum going to this event that will document this car ?

Tom j

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
Bash in PA this weekend

I'll be at the BASH and will be happy to take pics. Does anyone know the color of the car? If you would like pics of something specific, please let me know.

Kim

Series 3
Tiger II

Sownman

Donation Time
Take lots of pics of every detail you can get to. Take pics like you had to document it before you took the whole thing apart. Please

Steve

John Boggis

Donation Time
john,
i will not be at the bash this week.we were at the invasion last week and this sunday is mother's day. this car took the lord rootes trophy several times in the early days of te/ae when it was given for the most original car. i would like to see it. i'm sure it will show up again.

Bob, who is the owner of this series V ? Also what color is it ? so Kim (fireboltgirl) can find it and photograph it.

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
17,000 mile Series 5

I've posted pictures of this car on an ftp site because it's a large file. Using your internet browser, type in ftp.harborduvall.com. Don't use "www." The user name is tlf and the password is 1t2l3f. Follow the directions for opening the page, not all browers work the same way. You should see a folder called 17,000 miles. Copy (please don't move) this folder to your desktop to view the photos. It was an excellent show, nice people and an interesting venue. The weather was something else. 35 mile an hour winds were blowing dirt everywhere, making it impossible to safely leave a bonnet open. Because of the blowing dirt, tops and window were up on the show cars. It was several hours before I located the owner of the Series V, who graciously open the car so I could take the photos. He got the Alpine, along with 18 others, all American convertibles, from the estate of a friend, who purchased the Alpine new. The top has never been down. He has all of the paperwork and has know the car since 1973.

Kim
Series 3
Tiger II

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Kim. I just tried and saw your great photos of Amelia Island Concours, but no folder labeled "17,000 Miles". I suspect someone got there before me and ignored your request to "copy, don't move". :mad: