• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Abbreviated rant

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
We'll have lots to discuss after the Invasion so those going take good notes.

The next major item is revamping this website. Face it. It's cumbersome to update member levels, functions don't function, photos are hard to post, the program is out of date. I'm told we have to update the software to a point to where we can switch to something newer. We have one estimate which will require a major financial commitment by the club. We are taking a financial hit on the Invasion. We have about 300 members that show activity on the site but only about 100 that actually contribute. The Board and I choose to think that if things worked better and we added more useful and functional content it might encourage more contributions. We might be able to put together a tool lending program or be able to have hard to find parts made.

We'll see.

For those of you going to the Invasion, travel safe. Bill put a bunch of work into this. Post frequently so the rest of us can enjoy reading updates.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the updates Nick.
Several times you have mentioned that club finances will be taking a big hit at the Invasion. Not sure if I understand. Sure there may not be huge numbers of folks there but I know Bill has planned to keep all costs down. Everyone going has to pay a registration fee so I bet that all fixed costs are covered. Can you share with us what those fears are? It is just that folks reading about money and Invasion issues might get scared off from ever organizing one in the future. Thanks for what you do. Eric

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
No problem in disclosing the finances. Bill budgeted for a certain number of entries to break even and we fell a little short. About $1000-1200. We will know after the event and I'll ask for the numbers to be posted. It's the club's money and members deserve to know that.

One of the points discussed recently was encouraging local events. One of the reasons I was thinking of changing the regions. Smaller regions where members would drive shorter distances. Smaller Regions could then schedule around their weather. What's great driving weather in Washington, Oregon, for example ain't no good for Arizona. I'm thinking reports from other regions in the dead of winter/summer might stimulate getting together.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The math is pretty simple. Our budget to cover fixed costs assumed we would have 40 paying, registered attendees. We made arrangements to be able to handle 50, which would have netted a small profit. We have 23.

We will be able to reduce the hospitality suite/parts room size at some reduction in cost, which is unknown at the time. It has to go through corporate, but will certainly be less than 50%. We also reduced the number of awards and got them at lower cost than per plaque. So that represents a significant reduction, but not 50%. So at this time we are far from covering our fixed costs as there are costs involved that cannot be reduced.

Bill