• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A V6 biography

miket

Donation Time
Long ago, in 1966, as a young man I bought my first new car. A Sunbeam Tiger. What a car it was. From the first drive home that July evening it brought me so much pleasure. Then, about 5 years later, it was time to move on so I sold it with 125k miles on the odometer.

Gone, but not forgotten. Several years ago, I began dreaming of having another. They are harder to come by now and with children etc I finally decided to attempt a V6 conversion. First I bought a very nice roller from Jarrs. I started with a GM 3.1 FWD, but when I discovered one cylinder had low compression, I decided to get what I really wanted, which was the Camaro 3.4.

That was early last year. I also found a T5 on Ebay for $60 that only had one bad bearing. One thing I've learn, is that a car has a lot of parts and there were many other parts needed to buy or fabricate. The most difficulty being the exhaust system. The mounts were probably the easiest part of the project.

I removed all the EFI in favor of a carburetor. Again I found a Holly at a very good price on Ebay. I think it is a marine type. But with a new needle valve and a few gaskets it work’s perfectly. I also needed a HEI distributor. That seemed challenging to wire, but I found a great web site only to discover that it is very easy.

Of coarse with this engine I also had to remove the steering box and use a rack and pinion. Basically I followed a tech tip on a Tiger site and that has worked well.

Well finally a few weeks ago, I took it around the block. Only to realize there was more work to do. But I've been working on the bugs one by one, and today I took it to work.

It now drives wonderfully. The engine is smooth, as is the transmission. I have a slight problem with the clutch fork. It doesn't release smoothly. But still as I was driving today, I felt that it was so very similar to that Tiger I had years ago. The exhaust tone, the kick when the I hit the gas, and the solid feel that the Sunbeam has.

A dream has come true.

I hope others will persevere, as these cars are a wonderful driving experience.

Thanks for all your support. Thanks also to the fellows on the MG experience. They have excellent knowledge of the 3.4 and are eager to help.

Mike T.

Attachments

• sunbeam_in_driveway.jpg
    sunbeam_in_driveway.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 66

chris

Donation Time
Great story. The V6 is a wonderful power plant for the Alpine. Could you post some photos of the engine? I've never seen one with a GM engine.

miket

Donation Time
Chris, here is a photo of the engine in the early stages. The position of the carb looks weird, until you see the manifold. So I posted both.

I used a piece of 1/2" aluminum to fabricate the adapter. Works!

Attachments

• blue 3.4.JPG
    blue 3.4.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 110
  • s10_manifold.JPG
    s10_manifold.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 81

bluoval

Donation Time
loved the story

micket thanks for the story and pics glad your dream finaly came true. sunbeams are fun no doubt about it. like you my first car was a sunbeambut was an alpine and my dream was to put a alum block buick v6 in it that was back in 68 after the army didnt dare think i could ever afford a tiger.but last year my dont dare dream of a tiger dream came true and i have had a blast with it . but now i still want to do the v6 thing but with the ford 2.8 and that is my winter project. i think it is great that you did something a little diferent . keep on dreaming earl blu oval

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You mention the exhaust, but do not tell us what you used. Looks like a manifold to me, is it? Could you give us a rundown on the exhaust, as you say, it is the most work.

Bill

miket

Donation Time
Bill,

I used the stock Camaro manifold on the Drivers side. The stock manifold was to wide on the passenger side, so I used one from an earlier Blazer.

A choose to have a dual exhaust which meant cutting a 3" hole in the passenger side of the frame. That was hell, given that I had to work on my back. The first drill I bought worked poorly. I then bought one of better quality and that cut well. Still, because of my position , the hole was not straight. I may purchase a section for the Tiger later.

I had to decide where to put the mufflers. In from or behind the differential. The Tiger has them in front, but the frame is different and the pass-thru is further out from the center, so I choose to have them behind.

I was fearful of the cost of bringing the car to a muffler shop to have the pipes fabricated, so I bought 2" pipe from NAPA and a variety of bends. This allowed me to experiment. In the end that worked out really well. Basically, the pipes turn back after the manifold, then turn in to go through the pass-thru. Then 45's out again to the muffler.

The mufflers have on side off center which helps as the pipes don't have to go so far to the side. Then straight back.

20 odd pieces in all. It probably took me a week, all tolled.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
v-6

Mike, that looks real good; glad it has worked out so well for you and it is unique to you . That engine will put some power to the ground.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the exhaust set up.

Doug