• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A two toned Harrington?

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

this car is also listed for sale on the harrington web site. i've always wondered why it has a vinyl roof. there are many other neat changes to this car besides the roof. the fiberglass is easily repaired. our RHD lemans is getting a new gel coat before paint so i wonder if he just wanted something different.

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi

The viewing day is this Friday. I am going to go along and take a look. This is Bob Brissenden's car. I know it has an 1840cc Holbay engine.

Best regards
Clive

RootesRooter

Donation Time
this car is also listed for sale on the harrington web site. i've always wondered why it has a vinyl roof. there are many other neat changes to this car besides the roof. the fiberglass is easily repaired. our RHD lemans is getting a new gel coat before paint so i wonder if he just wanted something different.

The Tiger-style Rootes badge on the rear fender tells me he was after a different look.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I actually like the look of the naugahyde top. It makes the Harrington look better balanced than without it. It doesn´t look like it has a load in it´s pants, like the one color versions do to me.

Jose

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

jose,
you take the side mouldings off and it doesn't look like a frog squatting. many have asked why i don't have them on my red car and i give them the same answer. they serve no purpose except decoration.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Right! From the man that believes slapping a Harrington top on any Series II body after sorting out the trunk lid and you can call it a Harrington Alpine. Or, better yet include the number 55 on the doors and hood and call it a real Sebring race car. At what point is it no longer a Harrington? Yup, the age old question that seems to elude the truth with various rationalizations.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

the really great thing about this country is that everyone has the right to have their own opinions. we own three harringtons and we are now in the fourth decade of ownership on two of them. we are the second owner of these two cars. the third one is a car that ian started the restoration of and we are now finishing it. we're building it to our specs. it is a right hand drive, steel wheel car that did not have the roof vents. it will not be stock. many will probably make comments about it when it's done but that's their right. there will not be another lemans like it.

Lee Brogden

Donation Time
Having met Bob and had the chance to look over this car at last year's SAOC Nationals, I would say that he has done a good job of adapting this car to suit his own tastes. The differences I noted to stock are, Series 5 seats, Holbay engine, Circular Le Mans badge on the front wings ( the Car was the second from last Le Mans made, mine being Third from last.) These later models did not have those badges for some reason. The front grille is from a series 5, there are quite a few other alterations which wouldn't suit the purists among us, myself included, but Bob has been entirely open about his car, nothing is hidden.
I personally hope he gets what he is asking for it. That would make my car worth even more which isn't a bad thing in this current economic climate.
Anything to raise the profile of the car can only be good for us.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not one for the purists though but this car goes like stink. Still remember when Bob brought it to one of our 90's club meetings in Germany. On the Autobahn he chased BMW' s at around 200 km/h...

So it's his taste and definitely way off originality but good for those who enjoy serious classic motoring...

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Two toned Harrington

Hi

Brooklands wanted £25 just to go and look ...I came, I didnt see and I stayed £25 better off. :)

Clive