• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A restoration

skywords

Donation Time
Not an auto but interesting I think. I had this 1969 instrument standing in the corner for thirty plus years. It looked terrible but I decided to sell it anyway because they are worth more un restored. I played the thing in my younger years in several bands and even played with David Crosby's lead guitar player once.

Anyway I noticed the neck was loose and I just could not sell it that way so I decided to keep it and restore it. I stripped it with methylene-chloride and reset the neck. Now what to finish it with, I wanted the original Gibson Cherry color. After researching what type of paint I found my Nitrate dope was basically the same as the original. Now I needed tint what do I have on hand huum A/C tracer dye red so I mix a sample and wallah. 60 coats later and much wet sanding looks good. Now I take it to the music shop to replace the frets I have worn to nothing over the years. This shop has been in business since 1919 and the tech has been fixing guitars for over thirty years. He said it was the best match of Gibson Cherry he has ever seen. Not bad for a hillbilly.

before during and after

100_0445.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0506.jpg

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
What no other guitar players out there?

Well I don't play the guitar but I have a son who plays and he is building guitars.Me I play the stereo real good.
He is Red River Paddle and Canoe.You can check that site on the net.
He started building guitars to fill in time when he was waiting re drying time etc when he was at apoint where he had to wait.He has built 10 acoustic and one electric.He is now confident in selling them and he now has his first real order.Right now he is making a Viola for his wife who plays the Cello
Actually he had sold one of the ten to one of his canoe customers for a real good price.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Been on the road. Do not sell it. That is a jewel. One of may favorites. I am a bass player, we need a band. The Alpines

skywords

Donation Time
Chuck your son is a real go getter and very talented man. I think his guitars are splended. His boat work is amazing, I wish I could put him to work building wood airplane wings he would be very very good at it.

Eleven I wish you lived closer it would be great to start a band. Don't worry I am going to keep the EBO. I haven't played in twenty years but am now at it again and feels great. Like riding a bike all these old songs are just pouring out of my brain like it was yesterday. I just received my Fender Bassman amp to go with the cabinet in the picture, The EBO has never played so good the strings are now very close to the board with no buzz, the fret and leveling job sure made a real instrument out of it.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck your son is a real go getter and very talented man. I think his guitars are splended. His boat work is amazing, I wish I could put him to work building wood airplane wings he would be very very good at it.

I do indeed think he would be excellent at that as well
All the trim in the guitars he does make as well.He is now turning the keys for the string adjusters.He decided I did not need my lathe so he took it home.
I haven't done any wood turning for some time anyway.
We (I was just a helper)built the sectional canoe for the Quest for Gold series re the hike over the mountain for the yukon gold rush.His canoes have been in a few films.
He did prototype roofs for New Holland tractors.Also he did the prototype body parts for the inbetween size Case tractor.These were done in Fibre glass

He sometimes amazes me with what he will come up with.He found an old radial arm saw att he dump.Dad he says I want to make a sander out of it.He gave me a rough sketch of what he had in mind.
Well It is now a sander which I did build.Man it works perfect and he now runs the sections of the guitars through it
Again thanks for looking at his site.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had a Fender Bassman and an Epiphone hollow body f hole. Loved them both but they were gone from my house when we got back from vacation last year but no one is fessing up to it..... Will have to start over I guess.
I am a Sun River recording style guy, Carl Perkins, really early Elvis, Johnny Rivers can play anything and I will like it. Also Freddy King, Chicago and Delta blues styles. Favorites tend to be what are now called garage bands, Standells, Beau Brummells, Sonics, Wailers. Best British invasion band, "Them". My neighbor is the lead guitar on the Sonics, we played as a neighborhood for a while. What a thrill to play with a real talent!!!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
My beauty is a 1960's vintage Univox candy-apple red hollow-body (f-hole) with all the original bits including the tremolo bar and humbuckers... it's a Gibson 355 copy, and has a wonderful, rich sound. Probably a lot like your Epiphone, Tracey, as they were of similar manufacture. Had it since the early 1970's, when it was almost new, so didn't need much restoration - I just reset the neck and did some minor electrical cleanups. Also have a Gibson flat-top acoustic from the early 1960's in similar shape... plays very nicely.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I really miss my Epiphone but may end up with a Fender Strat or Telecastor replacement, they are all over the place in used stores. Great guitar but not what I had. The Gipson and Epiphones had this big maple block in the body, would sustain for about 2 weeks. Post a photo of your Univox if you can.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Post a photo of your Univox if you can.

Okey doke... here you go. The chrome looks pitted for some reason in the photo - I think that's just dust, fingerprints, etc. because it's not pitted or scratched. And the back doesn't even have belt-buckle marks... it's a nice piece.

You may notice it's also one of the somewhat rare 'lawsuit' models, in that it has a dead-on copy of the Gibson-style headstock... Gibson sued Univox for copyright infringement and won, with the result that Univox had to immediately change to a non-similar style headstock for subsequent production (these later headstocks are angled).

Univox1.jpg

Univox2.jpg

skywords

Donation Time
That's sweet! a lovely guitar. Get a hard case for it. If you were here in Tucson the Chicago Music store has hundreds of used cases at bargain prices. I bought the EBO case for 40 bucks. Its fun shopping for it because you get to rummage around their floors and floors of old instruments and treasures to find a fit. I know what you mean about photographing the chrome. I have a hell of a time trying to photo my polished rocker covers to ebay. I end up taking many shots and none do them justice.

skywords

Donation Time
We have hard cases for the guitars... that's just the storage bag we use around the house... keeps the dust off.

Thats good, I have looked at buying one of those Univox guitars. How do you like the tone? They have a certain vintage charm about them.