• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A new fuel tank sealer.....epoxy!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have been using the "Red-Kote" sealer for 20 years now. Using it in the Sunbeam tanks and some motorcycle tanks. I recently pull one of my motorcycles out of about 12 years of storage, and I found the sealer has gone bad. There was a lot of gas in the tank and perhaps the sealer reacted to it? Anyway the sealer now looks like a cake of rust (that was my first thought), but the metal is fine and rust free!
I did some searching and I see that Caswell sells an epoxy sealer. Anyone use this or aware of it?
https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html#
The Red-Kote can be thinned with MEK so one try is to fill the tank with MEK and hope it dissolves it and get it all out.
Jan

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks interesting and priced comparably to the POR 15 tank kits. Reviews were a little old
but may give it a try.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know about any epoxy sealers, but I can tell you this.... ethanol is a solvent for epoxy, and will eventually degrade epoxy.... Perhaps that's not a good thing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine is the POR 15.... Perhaps I should have purchased some stock there years ago:)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have used POR 15 on three Alpines. We took a lot of time to do it exactly as per the instructions. The bad news is that there is definite signs of it flaking off inside the right hand fuel tank on the tank we did about 10 years ago. I can see through the filler cap that the POR 15 is flaking, probably where the petrol station filler hose has scratched against it on filling up over the years.

Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I also used the Hirsch stuff, in my case over 30 years ago. Still no tank issues. It is all I will ever use.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Update on this motorcycle tank, it is rusted throughout the inside, but the tank was almost full of fuel.
What I don't understand is the tank was almost full of fuel, so that would seal off the air, but it is rusted everywhere inside.
Maybe the gas had that 10% alcohol crap in it?
And I guess I don't sealed it with the Red-Kote sealer at all. No evidence of the sealer anywhere.
I have two more bikes in storage and I'll get them too & check them for rust.
Jan

Ratical

Donation Time
I have used the Caswell product. With great results. And have some on my driveway that's held up well also (spilled)
It's in my alpine tank and another project I already sold. The alpine tank was done for about a year then I cut open the top to install Miata fuel pump and section of tank. I peeped inside and the cut part held up well and all sides looked good.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
My experience has been that the prep of the tanks is the key! I had my tanks both Alpine, Tiger and a few Motorcycles tank dipped were they are shiny clean then and the tank sealer, I used Hirsh and some stuff from Eastwood that is white in color and another key is getting good coverage. My cars still have good sealing and no flaking with more than 20 plus years on them.