• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

A-Arm Bushing FAILURE

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back in 2016 I came across a Tiger that

NEEDED the front suspension rebuilt.

The A-Arm bushings were Crumbling away!

Some of the bushings had NO remains of the material

between the inner and out steel.

What material I did find appeared to be

Blue/Purple Polyurethane.

I wrote it off as a fluke, not a common failure.

Just Days ago, Steve Alcala told me his Newly

Completed, Lord Rootes Winning Tiger, upper A-Arm

Bushings have crumbled away!

Steve Scrambled to replace the A-Arms only to find

his Spare set have bushings that are not long for

this world TOO!

Check your A-Arm bushings!

DW

2016 picture

P1060974.JPG

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Always good advice as they can go bad without your knowledge. Never had the rubber ones do that
though, they just get noisy. I put poly lower bushing in my Alpine about 10 years ago and they seem to
be alright. I have to change the uppers (noisy) so I'll check the lowers at the same time.

Does this seem to happen more commonly to race cars?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looks like an assembly mistake to me. The poly bushings do require a good smear of that white grease/ assy lube provided with kit. If not the'll wear out rather quickly...

alpine_64

Donation Time
What brand are the bushes?

The original superpro bushes for the draglink on the alpine/ other rootes cars lacked the honing/ cross hatching inside the bush which caused them to bind... This was resolved for the next iteration... Could it be a similar issue?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back when I was rebuilding Street car front ends (1990s) , ALL of the parts were

inconsistent, in availablity AND Quality.

With the Race cars, I made over-sized lower Fulcrum pins and custom Bushings.

Through the years, the available A-Arm Bushings that I found have Still been less than OEM quality.

As I recall, the last Street front end I did, I used NOS OEM Metalastic Bushings,

...that the owner was VERY fortunate to find.

YMMV good luck.

DW

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back when I was rebuilding Street car front ends (1990s) , ALL of the parts were

inconsistent, in availablity AND Quality.

With the Race cars, I made over-sized lower Fulcrum pins and custom Bushings.

Through the years, the available A-Arm Bushings that I found have Still been less than OEM quality.

As I recall, the last Street front end I did, I used NOS OEM Metalastic Bushings,

...that the owner was VERY fortunate to find.

YMMV good luck
What can you recall about the lower custom fulcrum pins and bushings? Steel bar stock in brass/bronze/ oilite bushings?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is one example of a lower pin compared with stock.

I have used different material shapes and dimensions, over the years.

Bushings were made from Delrin.

Unlike the stock pins, I don't know of anyone who has broken any I have made.

DW

pins3.jpg

high res pins1.jpg

Last edited: