• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'69 Fastback Alpine GT

RootesRooter

Donation Time
It's in a New Mexico junkyard. Their suggested starting price is probably too high to accept a reasonable (<$500) offer right now, but stay tuned for relisting.
This GT appears to have the original Rootes/Chrysler rear seat belts (maybe still is usable condition) and it should have an aluminum oil pan. They got the 1725 to fire on starting fluid. Best of all, it's an automatic so, if original, it should have the ultra-rare 3.70 diff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-GT-...ash=item236c6fd29d:g:jigAAOSwvg9Xbdbz&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
GT

One thing I notice is that it has the dash setup of the 69 but the dash is covered with vinyl instead of having the wood dash. Is the wood under the vinyl and the southwest temps fried the wood? Their asking price is rather high for what is left considering what would have to be rebuilt in order to drive it. Everything but the engine block and head are different than the series alpines and parts are hard to find. It probably does have the 3.70 gears. I paid 300.00 for this car.

Attachments

• 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 25

RootesRacer

Donation Time
That engine has far more in common to the series alpine than just the head and block.

In fact, its easier to list parts that are not the same or at least compatible.

The intake+carbs and perhaps the exhaust are not compatible.
The water pump and thermohousing is not compatible.
The side cover is not (but could be made to work).
The valve cover is not (but in a pinch could be made to work).
The sump is different but compatible if not outright desirable.
The flexplate, well how many alpines besides the SIV came with an automatic?
The valve springs in the head are different but should work fine in a series alpine.
The pushrods are different but again compatible.
It lacks the engine mount plate, but these are not rare.

In short, you get somewhere between a short block and a long block in terms of usable 1725 components.

For those that like and use the 150CD carbs, here would be a set of 150CDE which I should imagine are a bit better than the 150CD carbs due to its improvements and additional adjustment controls.

I am not a fan of the hunter alpine but it looks like $500 easily in parts to me.

65beam

Donation Time
GT

There are other parts that will not work on a series alpine. this range of cars is totally different. one thing I like is the single 15 gal fuel tank. even if it is mounted behind the back seat.

exhaust manifold
intake manifold
harmonic balancer (non GT had a stamped pulley, no harmonic balancer )
bell housing
transmission ( auto and manual would require shorter front shafts)
torque converter
radiator ( three row but would require mods since the top hose is on the opposite side)
thermostat housing
drive shaft ( GT had a two piece )
rear axle ( ring and pinion can be used but housing is too wide and axles are longer with fine splines)
starter
voltage regulator is different than series 5 alpines
there are no mixture adjustments on the carbs.

Last edited:

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
THere was one of these available in the Vancouver BC area recently. Price $0.

I was given an engine trans combo from one a couple of weeks ago. A quick eyeball said only short block & head were usefull.

mototron

Donation Time
Would that be the cylinder head with the cast in spark plug tubes ?

I am looking to buy one of of those late model head.
Prefer uncut , its ok if the cooling holes are corroded .

Are the valve sizes the same as the earlier 1725 head ?

Thanks
Rocco

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Re: Hillman mentioned the free GT up in B.C. Canada. VIN indicated that was actually a Rapier. Must've come over before the Alpine GT went into production? It was also an auto box, but I couldn't determine if that model would've had the 3.70 diff.

Re: using later head from fastback. One thing to note: the intake runners on the fastback head are narrower than on Series cars, at least on North American-bound Alpine GT's. The manuals list the GT as having several (5?) fewer HP than Series V.

Last edited: