• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

67 Alpine horn issue

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Good morning all. This is my first post :)
Can anyone tell me if the horn should be functional at all time on a 67 Alpine or only when the car is running, or perhaps when the car is running and when the key is on ''accessories'' position? thanks

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I assume you have stock wiring in your car. Do they work all the time, or just when the key
is on. It's been a while since I've worked on a stock wired car so not sure how it was. If memory
serves, which is an iffy situation sometimes, they work all the time. I know in the harness I sell
they do as well.
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Steve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Ignition ON for me on my series 5. And of course when the car is running as well. Does not work otherwise.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
See the original wiring diagram here:

http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/s5_diagram.pdf

It shows the horns, wiper, gauges, and turn signals all are wired as part of the Green wires, which gets power at terminal 4 of the fuse block, which means it get power through the fuse there, which gets it power from the White circuit , which gets its power from the Ignition switch when the switch is in the ON position. The Green circuit is thus described as Switched and Fused . The heater blower is not shown in this schematic , but it is also wired to the Green circuit. Note that the Alpine Ignition switch also has an Accessory position, where power only goes to Terminal 4, of the switch (typically the radio but could be other things) when in that position. Of course Terminal 4 also gets power when in the ON or RUN position.

Tom

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
I assume you have stock wiring in your car. Do they work all the time, or just when the key
is on. It's been a while since I've worked on a stock wired car so not sure how it was. If memory
serves, which is an iffy situation sometimes, they work all the time. I know in the harness I sell
they do as well.
Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Steve
Hello, thanks for your reply, not sure if the wiring harness is original or not.

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
See the original wiring diagram here:

http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/s5_diagram.pdf

It shows the horns, wiper, gauges, and turn signals all are wired as part of the Green wires, which gets power at terminal 4 of the fuse block, which means it get power through the fuse there, which gets it power from the White circuit , which gets its power from the Ignition switch when the switch is in the ON position. The Green circuit is thus described as Switched and Fused . The heater blower is not shown in this schematic , but it is also wired to the Green circuit. Note that the Alpine Ignition switch also has an Accessory position, where power only goes to Terminal 4, of the switch (typically the radio but could be other things) when in that position. Of course Terminal 4 also gets power when in the ON or RUN position.

Tom
Wow, nice thing to have the wiring diagram, this will tell me right away if it is hooked up properly.
Thanks again :)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you car is not concours one of the best things that you can do is to fit a relay and thicker wires to the horns. You will have MUCH louder horns for minimal cost. (Ignore the bit about Fusebox 1, Fuse 5, that is for when the entire car has had modern wiring installed, just give the relay a live feed)
Tim R

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 22.43.09.png

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Good idea, will see what they sound like and maybe give it a try if I’m not happy with the sound.