• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

65' Tiger w/Alpine parts car

65beam

Donation Time
George, It sure looks that way, The spot welds holding the panels on both bodies could be drilled out and the Alpine panels could be installed on the Tiger. We did this procedure on one of our cars.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
No way I'd cut that Alpine up for the Tiger. The panels needed to fix the Tiger are all available, so I'd restore
both!
That's the way I see it anyway.
Cheers!
Steve

65beam

Donation Time
My series 4 has a few Tiger panels such as the right rear fender and the right door and we cut up a rust free series 3 GT that once belonged to one of the founders of SAOCA for other needed panels. Those are the facts so anything is possible.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
It was just a body, nothing else. Why not? I sold what we didn't need on e bay.
Having just spent £20,000 (approx $24,000) returning an otherwise terminal Series 3 GT into a concours Series 3 ST, including the entire front of the car from the firewall forwards being replaced, the thought of a good rust free shell being cut up brings tears to my eyes! Good Series 3 cars are the Alpines to have in the UK now.

65beam

Donation Time
As I said the series 3 was a BODY ONLY without doors, trunk, hood or any other pieces. The body was dipped many years ago and nothing was ever done after that. It set on a cart at this shop until it was offered to me to use it for parts to restore my series 4 body. I sold the left overs on e bay and recovered my cost of the body. Rumors are that in 1995 the shop converted a MK 2 Tiger shell back to an Alpine for me. Anything can be done.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
It is just that S3s are rare and desirable (at least to me) so a complete rust free body could have been used to reshell an otherwise too rotten S3. However, as it your car, it is of course entirely up to you what you do with it. My original comment was meant to be facetious rather than critical anyway and I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way.

65beam

Donation Time
It is just that S3s are rare and desirable (at least to me) so a complete rust free body could have been used to reshell an otherwise too rotten S3. However, as it your car, it is of course entirely up to you what you do with it. My original comment was meant to be facetious rather than critical anyway and I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way.
I know you weren't being critical. You're not the first to think that way. There was no title for the body and it could have been restored but it had everything we needed to repair the Ohio rust on the lower panels except for the lower section of the right front fender which had crash damage and holes had been drilled to secure the filler. We used one of Rob Martel's panels to repair that area of my car. We sourced rust free doors and trunk lid for the car. The right rear fender and right door were original to a totaled Tiger. Panels were removed by drilling the original spot welds.107_0993.JPG The end result is that except for the one panel I have an Alpine with rust free original panels.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hard to believe the package is still for sale. The Craigslist alerts failed me, thankfully as I need no further temptations.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
And a very fine outcome! To confess, the front end of my S3 was repaired with panels removed from a Series IV GT automatic that was broken for parts to repair a Tiger with rear end damage. The panels needed quite a lot of repairs because of rust, but the strip down revealed my S3 had a twisted shell due to badly repaired old accident damage, so that was the only way it could be restored. I did feel bad about it though, as the SIV was just about restorable and being an automatic, was fairly rare. This is the result - won highly commended in the club concours last week. AFAIK, there is only one other Wedgwood Blue S3 on the UK club record, but as an ex GT, mine has the higher spec trim.

20190721_095730.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
And a very fine outcome! To confess, the front end of my S3 was repaired with panels removed from a Series IV GT automatic that was broken for parts to repair a Tiger with rear end damage. The panels needed quite a lot of repairs because of rust, but the strip down revealed my S3 had a twisted shell due to badly repaired old accident damage, so that was the only way it could be restored. I did feel bad about it though, as the SIV was just about restorable and being an automatic, was fairly rare. This is the result - won highly commended in the club concours last week. AFAIK, there is only one other Wedgwood Blue S3 on the UK club record, but as an ex GT, mine has the higher spec trim.

View attachment 16790
Looks great! The wife loves the light blue and I'm afraid that some day she'll find a car that catches her eye and we'll have another car. She keeps telling me she wants Harrington # 3 painted with a light blue.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Jumpinjan sent me the paint sample to match, so it as near to factory spec colour as the restorer could get it, allowing for modern paint.