• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

63 Alpine, SW Michigan

alpine_64

Donation Time
The seller has confused the odometer as being in km rather than miles.. And has underquoted the milage by 30k ... Oooops.

Appears to be a flipper.. Pity as if it had been a 1 owner cali car that someone in the sunbeam community down there didnt grab it

65beam

Donation Time
To a novice owner with no knowledge of the cars such as knowing that the speedometer and odometer read in miles/ hour instead of Km/H, it would be easy to make a mistake since Km/H is directly under the odometer just as Km/H is also on the speedometer. How many times have you seen new owners from the states ask questions or make a statement about fasteners being metric since it was built outside the states at a time when the U.S. was all SAE? Easy mistake for them to make. The facts are that owners with the knowledge of these cars would know the difference. The owner stated what he believed to be correct based on his knowledge.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The seller has owned the car for less than a year... I can see why they thought km .. But you'd basically have to never drive it or have little to no comon sense to assume the car is in KM when the scale says Km/h .. And the main scales are all in miles.

As for reasoning the scale.. 60s uk was all miles an hour

65beam

Donation Time
Nice car with good body panels. The cost of getting needed panels out of the U.K. for the next HLM restoration could be more than buying this car and cutting it up for the needed panels. It is close to me. Hmmmmm!

65beam

Donation Time
Ditto. Too nice to cut up!!
Mark, remember that Doug cut up a rust free series 3 GT that Scott once owned for parts to restore my series 4 and he used a right rear fender from a beyond repair MK 2 Tiger for that same restoration. I also know of a couple nice series 2 Alpines that were cut up to aid in restorations of two other cars. Those are the facts.

65beam

Donation Time
No offense taken Jim but you know I'm not the only one here that has cut up a car in order to restore another.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
you know I'm not the only one here that has cut up a car in order to restore another.
Nope. I've done it too, although in my case it was a SIV that had been butchered in an attempt to create an Alger. Buying and cutting up a car like this is certainly your right. I just hate to see it happen to one that appears to be this nice.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
But Johnny did it! That is blaming others for your actions. You are old enough to know better.

Bill
Bill,
You're forgetting two important factors. The first being that I'm not the one that does the body work. Work, life and damage to my right elbow stopped me from doing that years ago. The second factor is the wife. I know you've heard her say that the red Harrington and the green car are mine, the blue car and the white Harrington are her cars and we share ownership of the 69 and the others are joint ownership. She forgets that all twelve cars we own have both names on the titles. When we drop off the stripped out shell to be restored at the shop, Jean says "fix it" and I make a stop at the shop every week or every few weeks to see what has been done. Both shops have always told me if they encounter a problem and they tell me what needs to be done and I remind them that they were told by Jean to" just fix it". If that means cutting up a good car for parts then that has happened. She wants it right and she doesn't question anything if the work is done right and she pays the bill.. You should be telling her that she's old enough to know better but tread lightly and don't say it too loudly.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sure, if she's the one that says that it is okay because other do it. If she says she doesn't give a damn what others think - well, that's fine with me, but its hardly in the spirit of the SAOCA. Maybe we should discuss deleting the second half of this from the Home Page.
"By Alpine owners, for Alpine owners
and dedicated to keeping ’em on the road"

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Could this be one of the examples of "Keep'em-on-the-road" ? It was given to me more than 30 years ago. Going to the scrap yard. Put in storage until I had time to start restoration. These pIC's are when I took it out of storage. At the time I did not have a clue as to the undercarriage condition. Never thought it would or could be fixed!

Alpine 0766 DSC00999.JPG Alpine 0766 DSC00985.JPG

Attachments

• Alpine 0766 DSC00987.JPG
    Alpine 0766 DSC00987.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Alpine 0766 DSC00989.JPG
    Alpine 0766 DSC00989.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Alpine 0766 DSC00990.JPG
    Alpine 0766 DSC00990.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Alpine 0766 .JPG
    Alpine 0766 .JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Alpine 0766 GT metal work 2014-07-12 07.37.43.jpg
    Alpine 0766 GT metal work 2014-07-12 07.37.43.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 20
  • Alpine 0766 sheet metal repair of GT 20180125_180639.jpg
    Alpine 0766 sheet metal repair of GT 20180125_180639.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 20

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A few Alpine 0766 GT metal work 2014-07-12 07.37.29.jpg Alpine 0766 GT metal work 2014-07-12 07.36.52.jpg Alpine 07866 GT Metal work 2014-07-12 07.35.23.jpg Alpine 0766 with all the lower panels replaced 2015-04-29 05.31.06 (420x315).jpg Alpine 0766 R rear floor pan is all in...2015-04-26 23.05.00 (420x315).jpg Alpine 0766 cut out being sized for curveature comparasion 2015-04-18 04.27.20 (420x315).jpg Alpine Rear fender piece made from scratch 2015-04-16 02.16.23 (420x315).jpg Alpine 0766 Emergency Brake panel made by DanR 2015-04-23 02.33.04 (420x315).jpg more PIC's of my Rare 1965 SIV BW35 Alpine that will be back on the road.... I have many many more PIC's of the work that had to be done in order to make it even look like an Alpine. The most surprising part being the undercarriage was "perfect" absolutely no rust. Unbelieveable...

65beam

Donation Time
Sure, if she's the one that says that it is okay because other do it. If she says she doesn't give a damn what others think - well, that's fine with me, but its hardly in the spirit of the SAOCA. Maybe we should discuss deleting the second half of this from the Home Page.
"By Alpine owners, for Alpine owners
and dedicated to keeping ’em on the road"

Bill

Doing a nice restoration does 'KEEP THEM ON THE ROAD'. Owners like you and me could tell stories about what it takes to keep them on the road since we both owned the cars in the 60's. You have done whatever it takes with your engine swaps. Nothing wrong with that! I envy your work and dedication. I do have one building in the other end of town that has pieces such as doors, fenders, hoods, etc. of various Alpines that just were not feasible to be kept on the road. They were "FRED FLINTSTONE" cars. We are multiple Alpine owners and we're dedicated to keeping them on the road. Different people have different ways of "KEEPING THEM ON THE ROAD". That could also mean they are not built to the spirit of some owners or forums.