• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'62 Alpine V6 B9107722LRX Up for Auction on BaT

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was the previous owner of this car and absolutely loved it! If anyone is interested in bidding on this car and needs any information, I'd be glad to answer any questions about the car up until the time I sold it.
Rick

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I always thought of using the stock 2.8 V6 with a C4 tranny and keeping the stock cross over pipe & single exhaust. In that way, it keeps the project scope of it under control, and not get crazy. I drove Jim Ellis' V6 Alpine and yes, it was faster than the 4-cyl Alpine, but it wasn't a Tiger.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
I always thought of using the stock 2.8 V6 with a C4 tranny and keeping the stock cross over pipe & single exhaust. In that way, it keeps the project scope of it under control, and not get crazy. I drove Jim Ellis' V6 Alpine and yes, it was faster than the 4-cyl Alpine, but it wasn't a Tiger.
Jan
Jan I'd gather Jim's Vader was quicker than a stock tiger.. and probably handled better .... But the V8 is a very different character to the V6

cdk84

Donation Time
I've also driven Vader and Jan is right: while it's got some poke, it's not a Tiger.

That said, in my outspoken opinion, if I were going to build a V6, I wouldn't choose the 2.8 for the following reasons. First, it has Siamesed ports, so it's less efficient as a breathing machine than its same-physical-size 2.9 engine, which doesn't have the same Siamese disease.

But there's another option. There's a 4 L version that fits in pretty much the same space and it would make the Alpine MUCH more like a Tiger than either the 2.8 or 2.9 --for acceleration. After all, there's no mutability to the statement that "there's no substitute for cubic inches".

I've driven another V6 that's very well turned out and it's Much of what a Tiger is, up to a certain point, and it handles better. So it may come down to a choice of brute power ( Tiger ) with a little of a handling challenge ( that CAN be managed: Doane Spencer did it to the point that his Tiger could beat a Cobra, if Dave MacDonald drove it ). But if *I* were building a V6 Alpine, I would do everything in my power to source a 4 L V6 and take that puppy to town, with the thought that the straight line would come Very close to a Tiger while the handling would remain more supple. I, for one, am not convinced that the V6 option has been fully developed. I still think it is the car Rootes Should have built...

Cheers

David

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've driven another V6 that's very well turned out and it's Much of what a Tiger is, up to a certain point, and it handles better. So it may come down to a choice of brute power ( Tiger ) with a little of a handling challenge
David
David... The Tigers in stock form don't really have brute power.... They do have a LOT of torque especially down low.

I'd say Vader was a match for a stock Tiger in a striaght line drag.. but way ahead in the corners....

That said... You can get a lot more power into a sbf with very little effort.

A better conversion would be the more modern 4cyl twin cam or turbo jap swaps.... But.... They don't have the period feel