• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'59 Hillman Husky Quad 4

mgbreis

Donation Time
Hi,

I joined a few days ago and thought I'd introduce myself and my Hillman. I'm a longtime mgb owner but have always liked Alpines. Just a few weeks ago I bought a modified Hillman Husky and since then have been doing research. I had no idea how close the Hillman is related to the Alpines, but I'm thankful that there is a resource like this.

My Hillman has been converted to a '92 Olds Quad 4 engine, t5 transmission and a ford 8.8 with disc brakes. My work this summer will be to get the rust under control. I can handle that, lots of experience. But my ongoing research is going to be how to upgrade the front suspension. It's stock, worn out, and still running the stock drums. Not good.

Any recommendations on what can be done with suspension, steering and brakes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ryan

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a fun project. I've never seen wire wheels on a Husky before. Bolt on adapters? Are you going to reinstall the sliding side windows?

From the pics of the engine compartment, it appears that you have dual circuit brakes. I am curious how that was done. How are you moving air through the radiator?

The simplest upgrade for your front brakes would be to locate the anti-roll bar, A-arms, shocks, spindles, and disk brakes from a Series IV or V Alpine or possibly a late Series Minx or Rapier(uncommon) and replace your stock parts. Almost a straight bolt-in proposition. I think you will still have F-R balance problems though. I am going to guess that somebody tried to lower the car by heating the front springs from the stance in the pics. There's not a lot you can do that way given that there is only about three inches of bump travel at the original ride height. FWIW, the original Husky springs are stiffer than any series Alpine springs.

HTH and good luck,

dmich2

Donation Time
WOW. I had a Husky back in the 80's that looked just like yours, w/o the wheels, motor upgrades. I sure would like to have another one to play with, but I value my marriage, at this point, so I can't go there...:eek:

Not sure if it's an option, but it appears the Mutt II front ends are used a lot by foks constructing rat rods, etc. Check out Mustang II front ends on eBay. Amazing.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Dennis

mgbreis

Donation Time
Thanks for the comments guys. Dennis, I did some research on a mustang II front end. Basically I'd have to get something custom or narrow one myself to retain the same track width. I'm still thinking on it but I've really been liking the idea that Don pointed out, which is swapping over to a Alpine series IV or V front suspension.

Which leads me to: Anyone know where I could find a series IV or V front suspension?

Don, in the picture of the front end you can faintly see the outline of the pusher electric fan. The day I drove it home it was cool and according to the gauge it was running almost too cool. We'll see. The dual master cylinders are a Tilton setup, picture below. Something is definitely up with the front springs, it is way way too low. The wires are 15" daytons with bolt-on adapters. At first I was thinking of going back to a steelie look with the dish hubcaps, but the wires are growing on me. I don't have any of the side or back glass, just the door glass. I'd go back to the sliding windows but I'd probably have a better chance of finding hen's teeth.

IMG_0188.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
What a surprise!
Many years ago, I had a vision of mating the Quad4 to an Alpine, but sold it all off, I didn't have the time.
I know these engines pretty well, and I'll comment on how they mounted the engine, "upright". Normally, the GM Quad4s are engineered to operate on a "slant" and that is beneficial for this swap, but many people just didn't recognize that advantage (and not to mention the disadvantage of oil starvation mounted in the upright position).
The picture below demonstrates the point that I'm making. The flat surface on the chain housing is close to level, so that gives more room for the stock intake plenum to fit (and make the air flow way better than a homemade plenum).
Jan
hillman_quad_on_slant.jpg

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey Ryan, welcome to the club~ This has been for me a great place hangout and learn some stuff.
There's a guy near me who converted a 59 to panel wagon/sedan delivery.
He might still have those side windows loose. He's also got a complete spare car he mentioned selling, also (I think) a '59.
Send me a pm and I'll forward his telephone # etc.
I found a comlete drivetrain to upgrade to alpine power my 1960.
In my search, I also found a second set of a complete front suspension, complete with disc's and springs (can you say bingo?)
It's out in CA but might be worth the schlepp.

I'll try and findmy info on the second front end setup.
I found it via the hillman group, via yahoo groups. You should seriously
join that group too if you haven't already!
I'm diggin' the wires too and have been thinking about how hard it would be to convert to pindrive etc...

Sharp short! Mine too has had too many coils cut off and it rides like crap.

Cris