• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

5 speed transmission

Mag0152

Bronze Level Sponsor
Since overdrive transmissions are quite rare, are there any option for a 5 speed transmission on a Serie V 1725?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Toyota 5 speeds using a dellows kit from australia it one of the New Zealand kits.

Or... Jeff Haworth or John Roseby from UK who sell fully rebuult overdive kits for sunbeams. Many members here have used them

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Since overdrive transmissions are quite rare, are there any option for a 5 speed transmission on a Serie V 1725?

I have had a Toyota 5 speed in Ol' Blue for many years. I purchased an excellent conversion kit from Colin Dray at Conversion Components in New Zealand. When I replaced my original 4 speed with a V6 Colin provided a conversion kit for me.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any info/full color glosses about putting in a Borg-Warner/Tremec T-5 would go nicely in this thread, hint, hint...

DW

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Any info/full color glosses about putting in a Borg-Warner/Tremec T-5 would go nicely in this thread, hint, hint...

DW

Why? The T-5 has been out of production for 25+ years, does not really fit the Series Alpine transmission tunnel, there are no readily available bellhousings or adapters to mate the T-5 transmission to the Rootes engine and the readily available gear ratio combinations are not a good match for the Rootes engine.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

DW
Info? The T5 used in the 3.8 Mustangs have an input shaft that is 5/8" longer than the stock Alpine shaft. Just right for an adapter plate to mount the Alpine bell onto the T5 box. It has been done, Bryan, the one that turboed his 1725 did it.

There, you know as much about it as I do.

Bill

Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
You may think the T-5 is almost extinct, but NO.

The Mustang version has been in almost constant production, in the after market.

Fact is, you can buy them NEW from several sources.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-trfo-30001/make/ford/model/mustang

AND, 5th gear ratios are readily changed.

Also, the tail-housings/shift positions are fairly changeable as well.

It's old hat to put one in a Tiger (but not super easy... I CAN give chapter and verse), And I know it's been done in Alpines.

I just have not done it, YET.

So I would like to see the pitfalls others have found.

DW

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I used all sorts of T5s there are still plenty around as there used or were in Damm near every car on the planet, Borg Warner sold out to Tremec ,and that's what you find today which has the changeable shifter position.
Bill Blue mentions the V6 Mustang box as to input shaft length The Chevy T5 is the same deal, I've used several 4 Cylinder boxes also which are the same with the exception of the first gear in fact I have one in my Alpine With the 400 hp crate engine and it works just fine,contrary to what the naysayers think!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why? The T-5 has been out of production for 25+ years, does not really fit the Series Alpine transmission tunnel, there are no readily available bellhousings or adapters to mate the T-5 transmission to the Rootes engine and the readily available gear ratio combinations are not a good match for the Rootes engine.
Well, for openers, it is widely available. Could you delve a bit into what is wrong with the T5 (your choice as to gearset) for the 1725? To me, the only important ratio is 5th. I'd guess that any 5th gear ratio between .7 and .8 would be fine.

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, for openers, it is widely available. Could you delve a bit into what is wrong with the T5 (your choice as to gearset) for the 1725? To me, the only important ratio is 5th. I'd guess that any 5th gear ratio between .7 and .8 would be fine.Bill

Bill,

The ratios listed for the Mustang 3.8 v6 trans are:

Trans ID# 1352-238 . . . . . . Rev . . . . . . 1st . . . . . . 2nd . . . . . . 3rd . . . . . . 4th . . . . . . OD
..........................................3.15;1...........3.35:1........1.93:1.........1.29:1.........1:1.............0.72:1

Alpine V (WSM145). . . . . 3.32:1...........3.12:1........1.99:1.........1.295:1.......1:1.............0.802:1

Minx (WSM145) . . . . . . . 3.569...........3.353:1......2.141:1.......1.392:1........1:1............0.802:1

Alpine IV (WSM124) . . . . 4.24............3.35:1........2.14:1.........1.39:1..........1:1............0.802:1

I don't have the ratios for your '69 coupe, but I'd guess they are probably the same, or very similar, as what is listed for the Minx above.

I could go count ratios in my Arrow trans but they may not be the same as yours, since my trans was in a station wagon.

Another consideration for you and your '69 is your tunnel is sized to accommodate a BW 35 automatic, so you shouldn't need any body mods to fit a T-5 in the tunnel - beyond the shifter location.

Don

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks pretty good to me! Not much difference at all, except the 3.8 tranny is a bit tall in 5th gear. Way back when, someone (Ian?) combined an O.D. with a 3,7 rear gear and said it was great. That opinion may have been influenced by the knowledge that straight 4th was just a flip of a lever away.
Bill